ღ Finding Cinderella (27)

Start from the beginning

I planted my hands on my face and let out a groan. "It's today. I don't know if I can nail it."

He laughed. "Come on. It can't be that hard."

"You're saying that because you're good at it," I replied with a scowl. "Isn't Mr. Cross your first period? Don't you have a test today as well?"

"Nope. He hasn't informed us yet, but maybe one of these days this week," he said.

I sighed. "No wonder why you're so calm."

Tristan slipped his backpack off his shoulder, unzipped it, and pulled out a notebook. He handed it to me, saying, "Here, you can borrow this. I know you don't like taking down notes."

"Hey, I do like to take down notes," I asserted and then dropped my voice. "Except during math lectures."

He snorted. "Well, here you go."

I stopped walking and studied him, puckering my lips. He'd been too nice lately. Almost too chivalrous that it was unnerving. He opened doors for me. Offered to carry my things for me. Treated me to food. Used a polite tone. Now he was letting me borrow his notes? Strange. Really strange.

"But how about you? Don't you need it?" I asked.

He tapped his forehead with his finger. "Stock knowledge."

Rolling my eyes, I took his notebook and flipped through the pages. My mouth dropped in surprise. It wasn't because his handwriting could be easily mistaken for the work of a Neanderthal man, but because his notes were more detailed compared to Julianne's.

"Jeez, Tristan. Do you copy everything that's on the board? You are such a nerd," I remarked.

"Am I?" He rolled his eyes up as if he was thinking about it. Then he looked at me with a smirk on his face. "I'm in the hot category then."

I made a gagging sound. "Don't let it go to your head."

When I was about to continue my way, he touched my arm.

"Kylie, uh..." he murmured, rubbing the back of his neck. "Can we hang out after school, maybe?"

Hugging his notebook against my chest, I narrowed my eyes at him. "Why? Don't you have any dates for today?" I joked.

"I'm not dating anyone," he answered. His tone had dropped to a serious note. "In fact, I don't look at the other girls anymore."

I raised my eyebrow. "That's odd coming from you," I mimicked him.

"Is it?" He let out a small, awkward chuckle. A pink glow was on his cheeks. "But I'm telling the truth. I don't look at them anymore because I only see..."

Trailing off, he looked straight into my eyes. I waited for him to say a name. He didn't. I tilted my head.

"See who?" I asked.

He pursed his lips and gave me a deadpan look.

"Don't make me guess, T. I don't know everyone." I shrugged. "But if you like her, whoever she is, just take her seriously, okay? Take care of her as she deserves."

He opened his mouth, closed it, opened it again, and eventually, he closed his eyes and let out a loud sigh.

"Yes, noted," he said, a grumble in his throat. "But let's hang out later, okay?"

He sounded like a child; I couldn't help sputtering a laugh.

"Okay, T. Okay," I relented. "Let's hang out after school... like we used to, I guess."

-Tristan-

-Tristan-

Kylie and I separated ways as soon as the bell rang. She sprinted to the right hall while I made my way to the left. The smile on my face refused to leave as I ran through my head the plans I had for her after school. She was such a challenge. A frustrating and delightful challenge.

I almost zoned out with her in my thoughts, until I felt a forceful grip on my shoulder.

"Dude," Clark said, grinning, "we're headed to Jack's after school. You in?"

"I'll pass. Got other plans already."

He released me from his grip. "With Kylie, right?"

"Who else?"

He made a 'tsk' sound as he shook his head. "You know, your chances with her are unfortunately slim."

I nodded. "I'm aware of that, but I'm not giving up on her, man. I love Kylie."

Clark took a step away, his eyebrows crumpled in surprise. "Really, dude? Wow. That's... that's a heavy word."

"It's the only word." I grinned. I loved Kylie, and I meant it with every nerve, every cell, and every fiber in me.

"Look, Tris," he replied. "I think you're under the belief that if you try hard enough and wait long enough for her, she'll give in to you. But let's face it—it's not happening."

Stopping in my tracks, I frowned at him. I knew he was being realistic, but he seemed like he was keen on discouraging me, which wasn't like him at all.

He raised both of his hands in a defensive stance. "Okay, I didn't mean it as a bad thing. You care about her. That's cool. I'm just trying to warn you, man."

I threw him a look of disbelief before walking again. "Hey, instead of worrying about my relationship with Kylie, why don't you worry about your relationship with her sister?" I said.

Clark closed his mouth shut and scratched the back of his head. "Yeah... point taken."

"Give her a pet. Either a puppy or a kitten just as long as it fits in her mailbox. She'll run back to you in no time," I said flippantly.

He grunted, which I took as a small laugh.

"Or you could ask her out again," I suggested. Ha. I was giving him advice that I, myself, couldn't follow.

He grunted again. "Yeah. Again. Soon. And I think by that time, it's going to be easy for me," he said, mostly to himself.

"Got a trick up your sleeve?" I asked, giving him an amused and inquiring look.

He only glanced at me but didn't answer. The expression on his face was indefinable. It was like he was trying to smile, but something was holding him back from doing so.

Before long, someone behind us slung his arms around our shoulders.

"'Sup, bros? Aren't we too early for Calculus?" Will said with a laugh. "Why don't we try coming late for a change?"

"Nah. Cross is always late, anyway," I said, shrugging. I pushed the door of our homeroom open and added, "We won't get caught."

We stopped halfway when we realized that everyone in the class was staring at us as if we were carrying a dead body. A wave of silence rolled across the room before Mr. Cross, who had already been standing in front, cleared his throat, much to our horror.

"Hartford, Reed, Young," he announced, glancing at his wristwatch. "I specifically explained at the beginning of the semester that I will not tolerate tardiness. You're ten minutes late, and you even had the audacity to prance into class rowdily. I'll see the three of you in detention."

Well, shit.