chapter 2

Hey guys!! sorry I have taken ages to upload stuff. Have been pretty busy over the past few months so hope you enjoy this chapter :D xxx

*******************************************************************************************************************

The carriage began to slow down as we approached a large iron gate. On the very top of the gate a series of metal spikes were alligned there,glistening as the rain came pouring down and thrashed against the window. The sheer force of it was so powerful that it seemed each droplet of water was determind to crack through the window and soak me. I would not surprised if they did for it is not the first time I have be targeted by the unexpected.

The gate made an atriocous screeching sound like nails clawing a blackboard. I felt a horrible,hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach and my brain was being squeezed tighter and tighter until I could no longer grasp my sense of reality. I breathed deeply in an attempt to calm myself down but it was useless. The carriage began to pick up speed and I glanced back at the gate. Upon inspection I noticed a coating of rust on the bars. Clearly no human had entered this area for an exceedingly long time.

The concept of this unnerved me considerably. It appeared that the gate was more familar with being locked then open. Was this gate constructed to keep tresspassers out or to keep the residents of the establishment in?

The carriage stopped abrubtly and my heart leaped into my throat. I remained rooted to my seat and refused to take one foot out of the carriage.

"Now madam, I strongly suggest that you remove yourself from this carriage immediately or I shall have to throw you out myself!" The carriage driver -who was of mature age- declared sternly. His grey, untamed eyebrows fused together and deep lines appeared on his forehead.

His words were meaningless. I would have rather been run over by the carriage than have to set foot inside that dreary,dismal dungeon. Two well-built young gentlemen thrusted open the door,burst my bubble and secluded me from my safety. I winced as my upper arms were clenched tightly. Their polished fingernails pierced into my flesh. I let out a scream and pushed them away.

I did everything and used every ounce of my energy to get them off me. I clawed at them,bit them. I was transformed.I was ruthless and determind to remove myself from their destructive clutches. My pearl white teeth sunk into one of the gentlemen's hands and they quickly released their grasp on me. I ran as swiftly as an eagle but I was cornered by the speared iron gate. I tried desperately to search for an exit from this hell-hole by running in every direction and pleadingto whomever were in the distant sky to help me. My throat was red raw from screaming.My head pounded rapidly and nothing made any sense to me. Perplexed was I by my surroundings,by the whole concept of my dumping here, that everything felt unbearable. Pictures and voices whirled around in my head, one after the other. Screaming. Flashing. I let out a bloodcurdling scream. Trying to hold onto some sense of normality which was bleeding dry by the second.

Next thing I knew I was sinking down onto the dirty ground. A seering pain in the back of my head make me drift in and out of consciousness.

                                                 What is happening?

*******************************************************************************************************

When I awakened I noticed I was in a spacious,scarcely furnished room with grey crumbling walls laced with cobwebs in the very corners. It was startingly quiet, so silent that my breathing seemed to fill the entire room with an eerie resonance. The pace of my heart quickened as a loud creeking noise emerged from the large wooden door opposite to me.

A tall woman appeared. She was of curvaceous build which was portrayed through her choice of clothing. Her velvety, full skirt swept the floor as she approached me and her midnight black corset was tightly laced, much like the expression on her face.

"Stand up straight child and address yourself!"

I arose from the floor and attempted to clean the dirt and dust from my hands. I clearly must have done this in a somewhat frivilous manner as the woman let out a sigh, indicating she was displeased with me. I cleared my throat and tried to hide my undeniable fright for this lady.

"My name is Charlotte Smithfield and I am sixteen years of age," I announced, proud that I had managed to say this without so much as a stutter.

The woman searched through the enormous stack of papaers she had brought. Her long fingers scuttled along each page like a spider catching it's prey.

"Ah Charlotte Smithfield, here you are!" She checked off my name with such zest and glee in her voice that I questioned whether she was the same person at all. it was extremely bizzare indeed!

"I am Madame Brayton, main executive of this workhouse for insubordinate young ladies," she paused and made a smile. It was not at all a genuine one.

"I have been informed of your indecent behaviour whilst you were employed at the Winterson's family home and we will seek to destroy that devil's fire in you, with or without your consent. I have also witnessed your actions upon arrival in this establishment and I am very concerned that if this behaviour is not scrubbed clean as soon as possible then everyone will suffer, you in particular child!"

I took a moment to comprehend what Madame Brayton was saying to me. The whole experience had been a whirlwind of emotions. Everything felt surreal.

My thought process was cut short when a man of sturdy build paced into the room. His footsteps echoed around the room. I looked into his eyes and they were stone,emotionless,cold. He was wearing a top hat and tails and held himself in a defiant,distinguished stance. He smirked at me.

"Mr Lance will escort you to your room,"

He seized my left arm with such might that I couldn't help but wince. I did so quietly for I did not want to give both Mr Lance and Madame Brayton the satisfaction of witnessing me in such pain. I reluctantly allowed Mr Lance to 'escort' me to my room. As we made our way down numerous corridors twisting and turning I tried to figure out how the Winterson family had put me in such a frightful and ghastly position!