The light above the door was dim and flickering. I took out my tools and got to work picking the lock. Sweat pooled on the back of my neck and forehead, as I tried to work quickly. The last thing I wanted was to get caught before I had a chance to finish Trudy off. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if that happened.

When I heard the familiar click, I turned the doorknob and was greeted with a blast of warm air. Putting the lock picking equipment in my pocket, I stood up. If I remembered correctly, the room I was looking for was towards the back of the house. I glanced around the room where I now stood, and saw I was in the kitchen of the house.

I made my way out of the kitchen and turned left, continuing down the hall. Each step I took sounded like mini minefields going off. I needed to find the room fast. A deafening silence pressed in around me, this was the first time I had killed in the victim's home, and the lack of noise was making me nervous. Not even a soft snore escaped from the mouths of the residents. I creeped past the doors until I stumbled upon the place I was looking for.

With a muted creek, I opened the bedroom door and locked it behind me. I didn't want to be interrupted. This was going to be too much fun to have to stop in the middle. I looked around the room until I saw the small form on the bed. I removed the rope and gag from my bag and walked over to the bed. I yanked the covers back. How could this pathetic girl think she was worthy of my honey? I shook my head, grabbing an arm of the sleeping girl.

She turned in her sleep, exposing the other arm I needed. I wrapped the rope around each wrist, tying the loose ends to the headboard.

"I love you too, Zeke," Trudy whispered in her sleep. The nerve of that woman dreaming, dirty things no doubt, about my honey. There's no mistake now, Trudy had to die. I used the back of my hand to slap her out of her peaceful slumber.

"What the..." she started when she noticed me standing over her. Trudy struggled, just realizing that her hands were trapped above her head. "Who are you? What do you want with me?"

I removed my hat, letting her get a good look at my face. This would be the last thing she would ever see. These green eyes of mine will haunt her even in the afterlife. I smiled, "All I want is for you to die."

"Y...you're c...c...crazy," she stuttered. I may be crazy but at the end of the night I would be the last one standing. "What makes you think I won't scream?"

"Oh, please do scream. It'll make things more exciting. How fast can I kill you and escape before someone comes?" I smiled as I tapped my chin.

"Does Zeke know that you're insane," she asked. "You're not really going to kill me, are you? This is some sick joke you're playing. You'll do anything to get me to stay away from Zeke. Well, it's not going to work." I watched in disbelief as her mind tried to explain away the inevitable. This was no joke, she was going to die soon.

"Let's leave my honey out of this," I said, sitting beside her on the bed. I took the rubber gag in one hand and used the other hand to hit Trudy as hard as I could. When she gasped, I shoved the gag in her mouth and fastened it behind her head. The real fun was about to begin. I reached in my bag and removed the Wakizashi from its sheath. Trudy's eyes widened in fear at the knife. It was about time she realized I wasn't playing around.

She struggled against her restraints. I smiled at her helplessness. Just like the others, she only had herself to blame. I always gave warnings before I strike. Too bad they always seem to go ignored until it was too late. I sighed. It was time to get started. Time was steadily clicking away. I sat facing the headboard, watching the wiggling fingers in front of me.

"Eeny, meeny, miny, mo," I sang as I touched the tip of the knife to each finger. The song ended with a knife on the index finger. I couldn't help smiling. Straightening the finger, I took a knife and pressed it against the flesh. It sliced through without much effort. Blood began to squirt where a gaping hole now stood. Trudy's muffled cries went unnoticed as I started the song over again.

Minutes passed, my clothes were drenched in the sticky coagulating blood. I wasn't done yet. Trudy had passed out after the fifth finger, I didn't think she'd last that long. I used two bloody fingers and pressed them against her neck, checking for a pulse. It was weak, but I could feel a steady bump hit my fingers. Good, I thought. I wanted to see the light in her eyes fade, hear the last breath she would ever take.

I walked into her bathroom and looked for anything that would hold water. Teetering on the edge of the sink was just what I needed. I picked up the cup and filled it with the cool water. Cup in hand I went back in the room. I looked at what was left of Trudy. Her black hair was now caked with dried blood, no longer did the thick waves cradle her face. She was once a beautiful girl, now she lay in her bed sweaty and pale, missing fingers. If only she listened. Why don't they ever listen?

I dumped the water on Trudy's head. Water dripped down her face, where it gathered on the bedspread below. It took a few seconds, but her eyes popped open and began to focus. When she saw me standing there, her body began to shake violently against the ropes. She bucked against her restraints again and again, trying to escape. Trudy wasn't going anywhere.

"You should stop doing that, you'll only hurt yourself," I said patting her head. I held up the bloody knife from before. I watched as Trudy's eyes followed the knife's every movement. I brought the Wakizashi down, the knife finding its way through the soft flesh of her throat. I felt the knife bite into the mattress underneath. With a downward motion, the Wakizashi sliced from her throat to her naval. Trudy's eyes widened and with a silent gasp, her heart thumped for the last time. Blood gushed from the wound, spraying my face with a warm liquid.

I stood watching the now silent form for a few moments. I said a prayer and turned to go. A light caught my attention and I turned in its direction. Before I had a chance to turn away, I came face to face with a full length mirror. I saw the five shadows swirling, dancing in the background. At first, five was all I could see. I peered closer and it was then that I saw the six shadow. It lurked just behind my reflection, staring daggers into my soul. It had been some time since I had seen red eyes looking back at me. I willed myself to look away, for my body to move. I had to leave this place.

I moved one foot in front of the other. My attention only on moving away from the mirror and towards the waiting window. I opened the window and slowly climbed out. The rain was falling much harder now. I welcomed the steady downpour with open arms as it washed away the foreign blood from my face and clothes. I ran through the rain giggling and singing songs from my childhood, making my way home. A few miles from my house, I could hear sirens in the distance. I wondered if they found Trudy's body already. Who cares, I thought. She was just another nuisance that had to go.

*******

I entered my room, I could tell already that something was wrong. I searched the darkened room for the light switch. My hand brushed over the wall until I found the rectangle that held the switch. I flicked it on and the room flooded with artificial light. I saw the wrongness the moment my eyes adjusted. It was that damn mirror, the mirror I've been begging my mother to let me get rid of. The black sheet that normally hid it from view was now lying peacefully on the floor.

There in the mirror staring into my eyes was the sixth shadow. "Fuck," I muttered. This was not good. I guess Trudy was holding a grudge. I started to back up. I just needed to get to the door. I saw the shadowy hand approaching me. I wasn't going to make. I felt a hand wrap around my neck and squeeze. My lungs struggled to let in air as I tried to take a deep breath. The hand tightened its nails digging into my skin. My vision began to darken. I could feel my body growing weaker. The last thing I had seen before the darkness took me was the smiling face of the shadow. This isn't good, I thought before I passed out.