Epilogue

• Dedicated to To Everyone Who Reads MAD, Thank You and Please Don't Hate Me For The End

We walk down the hall hand in hand, leaving Damien's bloody and torn body where it lay. Blood soaks our clothes and stains our skin but I love it. It fills me with joy as I walk with my honey. I look over to him, wondering if he regrets killing Damien. I want to ask but I won’t. I’ll bask in the thrill of knowing that the shadows failed in killing me. I smile, thinking that my life could have ended today. Zeke tightens his hand around mine.

                “Where is everyone,” he asks. I shrug. I found it odd that no one had interrupted us.

                “It doesn’t matter,” I tell him. To me it didn’t. If there wasn’t anyone here to stop our fun, that was fine with me. Why question it?

                “It’s just weird.” We near the row of mirrors. I stop, my feet won’t move. Zeke pulls my arm but I can’t go anywhere. “What,” he asks. I can’t speak. I raise my arm to point at the mirror. My honey’s head turn. His eyes widen. “What is that,” he asks.

                “I don’t know.”

                “That’s weird.”

                “You said that already.

                “I know.” His voice is low as his eyes stare into the mirror. Inside the mirror there are people walking around. They mill about, laughing and talking with their friends. I frown at the image. My gaze follows my honey as he walks up to the mirror. He places his hands on the glass and peers inside. A figure inside the mirror walks towards him. I can’t make out who it is. A hood is low on his face. Zeke presses closer.

                “Do you see that,” he asks. “There’s someone approaching the mirror. Do you think they can see us?” My honey waves his hand at the figure. The figure turns his head and stares at me. I can see the smile before he turns back. My heart speeds up but I can’t understand why. Something about that person feels familiar. His hands lift up to remove the hood. I can see the red eyes. I open my mouth to scream. No sound comes out. I watch as a pair of shadowy hands comes out of the mirror. They wrap themselves around Zeke. His scream fills the empty corridor.

                I force my body to move. I have to help my honey. The shadow is pulling more of his body through the mirror. I run to him, grabbing his arm, trying to pull him away from the shadow. More hands jut from the mirror to grab Zeke. I can hear their laughter at my futile attempt of saving my honey. The one who first grabbed Zeke turns to watch me. I know who it is. I start to pull more on Zeke to get him away from the mirror. More laughter surrounds me.

                “If I can’t have you,” it says, “I won’t let him either.”