28

Paisley

I'm nervous as I stand in front of my honey. My eyes stare at the blood coating my white shoes. I don't want to see his face. His expression makes it hard for me to speak. He's not angry. More like confused. His brown eyes watch me. It's unnerving. He's never scrutinized me in such a way. My heart races, the adrenaline from the kill is still pumping through my veins.

"Well," he says again, bringing my eyes up to his. "I need to know. Please." 

I don't know what to say. The truth will only disappoint him. My mouth opens, my lips forming words but no sound comes. I try again. What do I say? What can I say? I'm trying to make things right for my honey. I look down at my feet again. Playing coy and innocent won't work in this situation. I ball my fist up. I can't think.

"Were you with him," my honey asks. His question catches me off guard. I can hear the controlled anger in his benign question.

"What?" The word comes out high pitch. It's a shock to my ears to hear. Zeke's gruff laughter follows. I watch as he walks slowly towards me. There is something different in the way he looks at me. He stops in front of me. His hand reaching for me. I brace myself. I'm not sure what he'll do. I flinch. I have no control over the action.

Zeke laughs again. It's softer this time. He places his hand on my cheek. I lean into the gentle touch. I can see the rapid changing of his emotions as he looks at me. The look he settles on surprises me. I've never seen him look at me that way. It only lasts a few seconds before his gaze becomes neutral.

Zeke removes his hand. "Were you," he ask again. I suck my bottom lip into my mouth and bite down as I wonder if I should tell the truth. I sigh and play with a strand of my hair.

"Who's he? " I know the answer already. I search Zeke's face to gauge his reaction to the question. He laughs. It isn't a pleasant sound.

"Don't play dumb. Just tell me the truth."

"I...I...," I'm stuttering as I try to find the right answer to say. I could lie but...Never in my life had I imagine that things would end up like this.

"Paisley," he calls. I refuse to look at him. "I need an answer to both of the questions. Please." The hint of sadness in his voice makes me want to tell him the truth. I raise my head to look at my honey. He's bent over, his face a few inches from mine. I stumble backwards, backing up against the wall. Zeke moves with me. His body pressing into me as he whispers in my ear.

"Tell me," he demands. He's too close to me. The scent of sweat and drying blood mingles in the air between us. "Look at me, Paisley." He lifts my head. I'm force to stare into his eyes. "Tell me." He whispers the words against my neck. I take a deep breath and struggle not to push him away.

"I was with Damien," I whisper. I can see the rage filling his eyes. I answer the easiest of the two questions.

"Why?" His hands hit the wall behind me. "Why were you with him?" I open my mouth to start but closes it again. I turn away from my honey. How could I ever explain to him what I just did? "Don't turn away from me," he yells. He presses closer to me. "Look at me." His voice is lower this time.

My head turns slowly to watch him. Pain has replace the look of rage in his eyes. I've never wanted to hurt him. "It wasn't like we were together," I say.

"Then what were you doing?"

"Do you really want to know," I ask. I hope he says no. I silently pray to hear those words. Years of secrets I've kept from my honey. All threaten to come out if Zeke says yes. My eyes never leave his face as I wait for his answer.

"Not really," he starts. My sigh of relief is short lived as I see his mouth starting to move again. "I can tell from the state of your clothes that I don't want to know but..." He straightens his body and move away from me. He walks to the bed and sits down. Zeke rubs his eyes before patting the bed beside him. I saunter towards him. When I'm in arms reach, he pulls me down beside him.

"I need to know. There's nothing you could do that would make me hate you," he says. I hope his words are true. His arms wrap around me as he pulls me into his lap. "So, just tell me."

I lean my head on his shoulder. "I...We went to Detective Kain's house."

"To do what," he ask in a low whisper.

"I'm sorry." I've never said those words before and meant it.

"Did you kill him?" I nod my head. "Why," he ask. "Was it for me?"

"Partly."

"Partly," he questions.

"He was going to make a case against me. So I had to." I try to plead my case, hoping my honey will understand.

"A case against you for what?" I can tell he only asked the question as a formality. He knows already. I saw it before he cast his eyes downward. "Don't answer that," he says quickly. He looks up at me. "Just tell me if you had something to do with Trudy's death."

I don't know what to say. I'm not sure of how he will react to the news. I say the only thing I can. "I'm sorry." A small tremor shakes my honey's body. It's not long before I feel his warm tears dripping on my neck. His arms tighten around me. I wrap my arms around his neck. Doing my best to comfort him, failing at my attempt. How do you comfort someone when I'm not sorry for what I did. I warned her. She failed to listen. It's not my fault.

I rub my honey's back as he continues to sob. He uses his shirt to wipe his eyes. His brown eyes watch me. The look he gives me is intense. I want to squirm under the gaze. My honey raises his arm and run his fingers through my sticky hair. My heart beats louder as he brings his face closer to mine. I'm not sure what's going to happen in the next few moments. I watch in slow motion as my honey begins to close the distance between his face and mine. The shrill sound of a phone ringing disrupts the moment. My honey frowns as he reaches in his pocket and answers the phone.