Chapter eighteen

Hello! I've been on holiday and I've had an amazing time!!! However, I feel a bit bad having said I would update more but I didn't update at all on holiday:-( Sorry guys. Anyway, I'm on the train back home now and I thought I'd update for you now so please enjoy the chapter!!

¡Adiós!

*****

Once myself and George established that the first kiss really wasn't an accident, we started going out. Every time we went to a romantic restaurant or the park or to see a movie, though, I could sense jealous eyes watching me. Hating me for my success. A blind, skinny girl does not deserve the Greek god that is my boyfriend. I'm not going to try and put my happiness into words, instead I will just talk about my favourite song. A ballad, by Melanie Stopher, a slow, sad rhythm with a soaring chorus that inspires you and leaves you breathless, listening to the words echoing off the walls of your brain. It strikes hope into your heart, replenishes your happiness and gives you hope for the future. But it doesn't work for me anymore, nothing can give me any more hope than what I have now when I am with George. It's like he helps bring out the light in me, making me shine, if that isn't true love, then what is?

We've been going out for almost a year, I hadn't even noticed it, that means I must've been blind for even longer. But George makes me feel normal again, like I can completely ignore my sightlessness. I'm going to meet his parents tonight, or parent. His dad is dead. I'm scared, will she disapprove? Of course she will, no mother wants her son going out with a girl like me. I regret thinking such a thing immediately, a black smudge appears on the fresh white page which is my new life with George. A nibbling doubt grows and churns in my stomach, like a parasite inside me. I feel sick now, I mentally congratulate myself on successfully ruining my day with worry. But I have a plan.
"HAZELL!" I bellow, she's surprisingly good at hair and makeup, if I can make a good impression it will increase my chances of being able to stay with George. I won't be able to stand it if he has to leave me. I don't know if I could live without him. I don't know if I'd want to live without him.
When I hear her tiny footsteps pattering up the stairs I stop and smile to myself, I have got this. Even if George's mum does disapprove of me, we've promised ourselves to each other. He can't leave me now.
He can't.

****

Two hours later I feel as if I am waking up in a new world. Hazell did the makeup for my eighteenth birthday only a month ago and both dad and George were blown away, but this has to top it easily. Hazell has given me amazing cat eyes and smokey black and grey eye shadow, she has done my hair expertly and put me in a black and whit polka dot mini dress. All this I, of course, cannot see, but Hazell can. She spends another half hour telling me how I look and describing what she has done. I feel beautiful, even if I cannot be certain if I actually am.
When she has completely finished, I kneel down and kiss her softly on the cheek, careful not to smudge my lipstick.
"Listen, Haze, don't get big - headed about this but I think I might honestly hire you as my own personal makeup artist. You are great at this stuff, where did you learn it all."
When I touch her face I feel that it is burning red with embarrassment.
"I used to do it on my dolls," she says modestly.
"I want to be a makeup person when I grow up," she says proudly. Then I truly see for the first time, a grown up, independent young girl. Forced to grow up by the trauma her life has thrown in her face,thinking about the future.
I locate a tendril of hair and the tuck it behind her ear.
" I think you'll be just fine at that. "

Then the doorbell rings.
George is here.

Ooh! What is going to happen at George's house. I wonder...