Chapter 5

I must have thought about calling that oh-so-irritating guy thousands of times but I stopped myself. I worried a lot about how awkward our next meeting would be, if there would be one. I just hoped he kept the information to himself.

In the meanwhile another interesting thing happened. I was online the other day when Afraa texted me. Immediately donning my happy face and barriers on, I check a message that read, "My brother keeps muttering all the time. Takes your name a little too often. What's up?"

I tentatively type, "I just told him a little bit about myself. A little too much for him to wrap his small brain around."

When the phone dinged a bit too soon, a smile crept on my face thinking I was the only one she was talking to at the moment. "Never mind Slok. He is an idiot. There's this amazing movie going on. You wanna watch it with me?"

While I take too much time to process it, too soon for me another message arrives, "I meant like a date."

In that moment I wanted to throw my phone to the roof and celebrate. Who would have thought that a girl so pretty and amazing that I actually FB-stalked would ask me out? I reply pretty slowly, "I'd love to."

A fraction later my heart sinks. I knew this was too good to be true. I fire another text, angrily this time, "This is a really mean prank!"

"Prank? What? Was I wrong to ask you out? I like you, so I did. This is no prank."

I weigh her words and once again she texts before I can reply, "You told my brother this! This is why he is being all weird. Priyanka, I assure you. This is no prank. I genuinely want to watch a movie on a date with you. Would you like the same?"

I type another 'I'd love to' before sane thinking returned and added a, 'This is too good to be true' for good measure. She texts me a smiley face (three, actually) and the timing for the movie the next day. I jump up and down in my bed and finally let my date's brother out of my head.

We had been to two movies, one lunch and another movie before Slok texted me out of the blue, "Are you dead? Did you get someone else for the tattoo? That'd kill me, Pri. Both of the mentioned possibilities."

I typed back a 'I hate you' and I almost added a 'But I love your sister' but I realized it'd be too much for either sibling to deal with.

Instantly Slok called. I picked it up but kept quiet waiting for him to start talking. He obliged, "So...you free tomorrow?"

I nod before I realize he couldn't see my head move. Then I use my words to say, "Yup! I am free."

"You wanna meet up for your tattoo? I have a new design!" I could see his grin.

"Sure. Your shop? Five in the evening?"

"Sounds good. My sister is saying hi to you. She is smirking. Does she know something I don't, Pri?"

Both siblings now call me Pri and I was loving the new name. After a few seconds I realize I was yet to answer Slok who was still on the line, "Yeah, yeah! She knows a lot! Tell her I say hi. I'll talk to you later, Slok."

"Later, girl."

Keeping the phone down I think a lot about how utterly awkward tomorrow would be. But I am sure it'd be less awkward than the time I had to break the news to my the-then boyfriend of Class 9. I also was worried about how much to tell Slok about me dating his sister. I was getting a bit too involved with this family and I didn't even want to stop myself for the first time in a long time.

Next day came on very happily. My semester results came out and classes were light and few. In the evening, highly hopeful that today would be the day I got my tattoo, I went to visit him.