Chapter 13 - More Storms

Start from the beginning

***

            Lunchtime couldn’t come fast enough and as Ford found a shady spot under the tree Audrey and he used to love so much he thought about getting his homework done. Did he really only have one friend? Where would he find the time to make new ones? He wondered if it was still too late to join the football team or if that offer from Levi expired. Ford fell back onto the grass. Levi was a whole other issue he hadn’t had the time or emotional willpower to deal with.

            “Hey,” A familiar gruff voice said sitting down next to Ford. “What’s the deal with Audrey?”

            Ford turned to see a face whited out by the sun. He squinted and some clouds covered the sun revealing the shadowy figure to be Hudson. “Oh, she moved, didn’t she tell you?”

            “I mean, dude, I got this postcard.” Hudson threw down a postcard from Miami and then a second one. He sat down next to Ford and slumped over. “I thought, she was better than…well a postcard.”

            Ford heart dropped and he reached out to pat Hudson’s knee. Hudson eyed Ford. “Sorry, I didn’t…do you want a hug?” Ford didn’t know how to comfort such a guy.

            “No,” Hudson pulled his backpack around and looked over his shoulder. The coast was clear and the teen stuffed his hand into his messy back. Pulling out a small pipe he seemed to have some organization to his messiness. Grabbing a small baggy of weed he started to fill the piece. “Did she send you a postcard.”

            “Just an email.” Ford wasn’t sure if he should tell Hudson that Audrey broke then news to him on their flight back from England.

            “Dude, why wouldn’t she tell me?” Hudson pulled out a lighter and took a strong puff.

            “Goodbyes are hard,” was all Ford could get out. It was true but it was also a weak excuse and Ford knew that.

            “But it doesn’t even have to be goodbye – you know. Just a see ya’ later.” Hudson held the smoke in his lungs and held the piece out to Ford. He couldn’t be the comfort that Hudson needed. But he also didn’t think Hudson knew what he needed.

            “Have you eaten?” Ford asked and reached for his brown bag lunch. “Let’s have lunch togeth-“

            A loud rumble echoed bombing off the building. The tree shook and Ford glanced up through the leaves. The clouds that covered the sun suddenly looked far more menacing and the dark black rolling clouds filled the sky. Ford felt something was off. A snap of white light clapped across the sky and a second rumble of thunder followed. A lightning storm.

            A loud snap and a flash of light sent Ford and Hudson to the ground. Ford looked up at the tree Audrey and he used to sit beneath. It was chard, burnt, and split in two. Ford stared up at the dark sky. Something was definitely off. “We should go inside.” Ford started and another electric jolt hit the ground right near Hudson.

            “What the hell,” Hudson looked at the burnt black spot on the ground then up in the sky. Ford hopped up and pulled Hudson onto his back. Jumping quickly towards the back entrance to the school another bolt of lightning crashed down smashing a bench. The door was just in the distance. Ford was almost there. He could feel the air, the electricity. Glancing up Ford caught a glimpse of the lightning bolt heading down to them.

            Moving faster than he ever had he jumped out of the way. Only centimeters away from the electric shock he felt the warmth of it against his skin and he flew back onto the ground. Hudson tumbled next to him. Ford looked up at Hudson who could barely comprehend what was happening.