Chapter 7 (part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Anyone with eyes can see that he is the one toying with her. It's only a matter of time before he drops her and moves on to the next one." Mary said with a small laugh and roll of her eyes.

"That's right." Ryder said a little uneasily, placing his arm around Mary. "You better be Careful Evelyn. He likes pretty new things." He said to which I laughed. But Ryder didn't laugh. His eyes darted to Mary with an almost bitter frown. Why would a royal vampire be interested in a human?

That thought made me frown for obvious blood related reasons. The waiter came back by to which I ordered nothing having suddenly lost my appetite. It wasn't exactly fair, just because I was born human, I was automatically below any vampire, especially royals. This societal norm didn't exactly make liking vampires any easier. Apparently, someone in the Royal family didn't feel that way, because they saved me, a mere human. my mind flashed to the gorgeous Caribbean colored eyes of the one who saved me.  

For a breath of a second, I felt a light tingle along the scar on my shoulder as if warm fingers had lightly brushed against it. It was surprisingly pleasant enough to chase all thoughts. My eyes wondered the room until they landed on a tall sturdy frame on the second floor, the man from the roof.

I found it slightly unnerving to see that he had already been looking at me, his eyes surprisingly vibrant despite the distance. I refused to look away this time. It seemed that in itself surprised him, though he hardly moved an inch. I stared on curiously as he sent an annoyed glance to the man beside him; I had only just took notice of him now. Though they both gazed upon me, it was easy to tell he was superior. He had this air about him that screamed of it. The sadness was still there, though diminished now. He seemed just as curious, a determined look spread across his features as he turned and sat down giving me the chance I needed to break away from his intense gaze.

"Making friends already?" Mary said in a knowing voice that for whatever reason caused a blush to rise to my cheeks; they give me away so easily. I quickly cleared my throat and took a sip of my water.

"I met him earlier on the roof, sorta." I said casually. Could I even call it that? I introduced myself and he... Didn't.

Come to think of it... I still don't know his name. I gave a look to the second floor and found myself slightly disappointed to see him no longer there.

"That's the prince. He has a way of catching everyone's eye." Mary hummed in a casual matter-of-fact way. Ryder suddenly got really sullen and merely harrumphed. 

"Him and the whole royal family." Ryder mumbled under his breath with a scowl. That was weird.

"You better be careful, he's known to be a little cruel." Mary said with a sigh to which Ryder scoffed.

"Don't dramatize it." Ryder said bitterly. "Only one of them has had any sort of serious relationship with anyone here, all the others just fell for him on their own. He didn't return the flattery." He finished sitting back in his chair looking the farthest possible direction away from Mary. She noticed it too with a frown. For a moment I wondered if Ryder had once fell for him too, but Mary quickly changed my perspective.

"Oh, don't tell me you're still upset about it. That was before you." She said leaning over to rest her head on his shoulder and slinging her arms around his waist, his resolve quickly crumbling. "No one will ever be good enough for me now that I've met you, you know that." She said kissing his neck lightly to which he finally folded into with a sigh. I pulled my bottom lip between my teeth as I subconsciously leaned forward intrigued. 

"I know. He still has this soft spot for you and you for him-" he was cut off by Mary leaning back to look at him.

"Well of course we do, you can hardly be mad because of that. We grew up together, our affections towards each other are merely the kind of siblings." She said and placed a small kiss on his jawline.