Ch.1

Chapter One

                The sound of the heavy rain hit the hood of the car as Massy Paisley sat silently in the passenger's seat of her mother's car. They had been traveling for four days, heading to her mother's home town of Moon Crest, Utah, and during the ride there was nothing but silence. They had finally arrived in the town and Massy was extremely tired.

                Within a short couple of hours, Massy had to pack up her life and move away from everything she had ever known. All of her friends were behind her, and there was nothing that she could do about it. When her mother got the new that her mother was sick she did the only thing that she could, and that was to drop everything and schedule a visit to go and see her. Once Massy's mother had returned home, she informed Massy, and her younger sister, Kalani, that they were moving. Because of the events that took place before the move, their mother thought that it would be a good thing to get the girls away from their old neighborhood and have them start fresh.

                Massy didn't know how she felt about it, but it was too late to voice any type of opinions. Instead she did as she was told and packed her bags, told her friends goodbye, and was leaving to head to a town that her mother dreaded.

                She had never known why her mother hated the place. All Massy knew for sure was that, her mother never wanted to return to the place that she was born, and she never visited. Massy had never gone to see her grandmother in Moon Crest, and had to always settle for her grandmother coming to see them in L. A.

                As their mother pulled up to a big brown stone home, Massy unbuckled her seat belt and looked towards her mother who only gave her a small smile. Britt Paisley was a beautiful woman with long silky brown hair and an amazing smile that Massy and Kalani were both lucky to inherit. As amazing as Britt was, she wasn't really the motherly type, which was why she allowed her daughters to call her by her first name, stating that calling her anything else would be offensive, especially since she was too young to be anyone's mother.

                For years she had been more of her daughters best friends, rather than being their mother, and because of this Massy had never took her very serious. But as she looked in her mother's soft greenish grayish eye, which was also something that both Massy and Kalani inherit, Massy saw a warmth in them that she hadn't seen before. She could tell that her mother was trying to assure her that everything was going to be alright, and for that Massy returned her smile and opened the door.

                "We'll wait for the rain to stop before getting the bags out." Britt said reaching in the back of the car to wake a sleeping Kalani.

                Massy nodded her head and headed to the front door waiting for her mother and sister to catch up. When they did, Britt opened the door, and the three of them walked in. Stepping into the nicely warm home, Massy felt oddly at peace. She didn't think that she would like it here. She was use to the L.A life, and the sun and the beaches. She didn't think that Utah would have anything that L.A had to offer. But when she stepped inside of her grandmother's home, she felt at easy.

                Looking around she spotted a few pictures hanging up of her mother when she was younger. The light brown, almost tan, colored furniture and smell of spearmint welcomed her, as she placed a finger on an old wooden table that sat close to the entrance of the house, where a bin for the keys sat on top of it. Next to it set a picture of her mother when she was around her age, sitting and smiling with a man that Massy assumed was her grandfather, and a woman who she assumed was grandmother. The man in the picture had the same color hair as Britt, with light blue eyes, and a charming smile on his face. Britt had her arms wrapped around his and the woman's waist, with her head leaning on the woman's shoulders as they smiled brightly at the camera. The woman was short with dirty blonde hair, and pale green eyes and a warm smile. As she looked at the picture Massy knew without a doubt that this was the grandmother that she and Kalani had never met.