Chapter 12

I own nothing that you recognize straight from the Outsiders book, sadly.

When Baby came to she was confused. Where was she? She could hear voices but they sounded muffled, she opened her eyes to only quickly shut them again. The light hurt her eyes. "Baby? You awake?" She heard someone ask, they sounded really familiar. The person, she guessed, took her hand in there's and Baby instantly knew it was Sodapop. Fluttering her eyes open, "Hey So-" Baby barely got out before Soda pulled her into a tight hug, she felt wetness on her neck, where Soda's face was pressed into. Baby rubbed his back, "hey. Hey now. Im ok. Shhh." Soda stopped crying, his eyes red, he backed out of their hug and smiled, "Yea your ok. Thank God." Baby was about to ask about Pony, Johnny, and Dally when she was again pulled into a hug. This time 2 pair of arms held her, Darry and Pony. Baby pulled out of the hug and looked down at herself, she had a cast on her left arm and she was wearing a hospital gown, ew. "What's wrong with me?" Darry sighed, "You passed out from lack of oxygen, and when you fell to the floor you must have fell on your hand wrong because your wrist is broken. Other than that, your fine." Baby nodded, "What about Dally? Johnny? The beam fell and-" Baby couldn't say what happened to him, she saw what happened before she passed out and was hoping it wasnt real. For a few moments no one said anything, Baby didnt liked the feeling that settled in the pit of her stomach. "What? Whats wrong with Johnny?" She asked eagerly, worried. "He's pretty bad, Baby. The doctor says. Well he says that if Johnny lives, he's going to be paralyzed for life." Pony said fast. Baby could only focus on one thing. If he lives, if! "What do you mean if he lives Ponyboy?! Johnny cant di-" Her brothers could see that she was becoming hysterical now, and Soda quickly held her, stroking her hair. "Johnny aint going to die," when Soda said die, Baby's breath fastened. "Shhhh Baby. Johnny's tough. He's never  leave you intentionally." Baby nodded and calmed down some but still the words die and Johnny lingered in her mind.    

 The door opened to the room Baby was located in and a male doctor came in, smiling. "Well Ms. Curtis its safe to say you are quite lucky, if your blond friend didnt pull you out you'd be in much worse condition." Baby assumed the words were suppose to give Baby relief but they didnt. She didnt care. "You can leave as soon as your brother signs you out. But I advise you to take it easy. No running for a day or two. You got smoke into your lungs." She nodded, "What about my friends? Johnny? When can I see him?" "Only family are at this time allowed to see him, Im sorry." Anger pulsed Baby, "Im his girlfriend, I have a right to see him. And we are his family!" The doctor frowned, "I highly suggest you go home and get some rest. He's sleeping now and you should do the same." Baby was ready to argue again but Darry had a different idea, "Baby he's right. Let's go home and sleep. Johnny's asleep now, you really want to wake him?" Baby sighed, "No."    

Baby woke up to the smell of eggs and the voices of Pony, Two-Bit, and Steve. Climbing out of bed Baby didnt feel like changing, still in her sweat pants she took from Pony and a plain white shirt she walked into the kitchen. "Now look what you did. There went our breakfast. Cant you two wait till I set the eggs down before you go shovin me all over the country?" Baby looked up to see an egg on the clock on the wall and smiled, Two-Bit and Steve were teasing Pony, a good pass time. The boys had yet to notice her standing in the door way. Steve said, "Why, he had to get a haircut to get his picture in the paper. They'd never believe a greasy-lookin' mug could be a hero. How do you feel bein' a hero, big show?" "How do I like what?" Ponyboy asked. "Being a hero. You know"- Steve shoved the morning paper at Pony impatiently- "like a big shot, even." Pony looked surprised, Baby was too. She pushed off the wall where she was leaning and stood behind Pony, "let me see." They looked startled to see her but Pony held the paper for her to read too. The whole page was covered with stories about us or well Pony and Johnny mostly. The fight, the murder, the church burning, the Socs being drunk, everything. Pony, Soda, and Darry's photo was there too. And Baby could see that under it the article said stuff about her and that she wasnt in the photo because she was awake at the time. Baby skimmed the rest of the article but at the end she saw something about that we shouldnt be separated we had worked so hard to stay together. "You mean....."-Ponyboy swallowed hard- "that they're think about putting me and Soda in a boys home and Baby in a girls home or something?" Steve was carefully combing back his hair in complicated swirls and it took everything in Baby not to rub his hair and mess it up. "Somethin' like that. Dont worry about it. They dont do things like that to heroes. Where'er Soda and Superman?" As if on queue Darry walked in behind Steve. Baby was watching Darry search for chocolate cake in the icebox, "Darry," She said suddenly, "did you know about the juvenile court?" Without turning to look at Baby he said evenly, "Yeah, the cops told me  last night." Baby knew that Darry realized that we might get seperated. "You now what?" Soda said to no one in particular, walking back in the kitchen with Steve. "When we stomp the  Socies good, me and Stevie here are gonna throw a big party and everybody can get stoned. Then we'll go chase the Socs clear to Mexico." Baby smiled, nothing like a good ole party to cheer you up. "Where are you going to get the dough, little man?" Darry asked, handing out pieces of cake to everyone. "Ill think of sometin'," Sodapop assured him between bites. "You going to take Sandy to the party?" Pony asked, everyone stayed silent. "Whats the deal?" He asked. Baby didnt say anything, if she did she knew it would be nothing good and poor Soda didnt like even now bad mouthing Sandy. "No. She went to live with her grandmother in Florida." Soda was staring at his feet but his ears were red-dening. "How come?" Pony wondered. "Look," Steve said, angrily. Baby knew he was angry at Pony for asking but it wasnt his fault, he didnt know. "does he have to draw you a picture? It was either that or get married, and her parents almost hit the roof at the idea of her marryin a 16 yr old kid." "17," Soda said softly, "Ill be 17 in a couple of weeks." "Oh." Pony said, looking embarrassed. There was a heavy silence. Then Darry said, "We'd better get on to work, Pepsi-Cola." Darry rarely called Soda by their Dad's nickname. After saying bye, Baby went to get dressed.  

 Walking to the hospital Two-Bit, Pony, and Baby stopped by the Tasty Freeze to buy Coke when a blue Mustang pulled up. In the Mustang Baby recognized Randy, Marcia's boyfriend, Two-Bit put his arm around Baby's shoulders leaning against her, "You know the rules. No jazz before the rumble," he said to the Socs. "We know," Randy said. He looked at Ponyboy. "Come here I want to talk to you." Pony and Baby glanced at Two-Bit. He shrugged. Pony followed Randy to his car, out of earshot of the rest of them. While waiting for Pony both Baby and Two-Bit took to teasing the other Socs. "What'd he want?" Baby asked Pony. "Yea what's Mr.Super-Soc have to say?" Two-Bit added in. "He aint a Soc," Pony said,"hes just a guy. He just wanted to talk."

Sigh. I know, I know. I was supposed to get this out last weekend but I was unexpectedly busy so here it is now. I was going to make this the last chapter and Im sure you all are like 'seriously? Cant you just get this story over with?' And yes I do but I really do not feel like writing today so Ill finish it another day, I swear! I finish school on the 13th but hopefully before then Ill have the last chapter out. I am really sorry though about not having it out last week. And sorry Johnny isnt really in this chapter but the next he will, they will go visit him and all that. Anyways, I highly suggest if you have Wattpad to follow me there, I can update status' about when Im writing and stuff like that. So if you really want to stalk me, follow me! ( xxLiveLoveMusicxx ) Also I did this 55 word challenge thing using Lose Yourself by Eminem and just wanted to share it.

Lose Yourself

"Do it" She whispered in my ear. "This is your moment to seize everything you ever wanted."

My palms are sweaty, arms are heavy. On the outside looking collected.

Like shooting a living being is easy, a typical Tuesday. He's choking now. The clock's run out, its over 

-BANG!

Almost too easy.