Chapter 10

This is very long, you have been warned.

Also there are some lines straight from the book and I do not own any of it. Sadly.

Baby jolted awake to the front door slamming closed, opening her eyes she saw that it was well past midnight. Looking to the door she saw it was Ponyboy finally coming home, Baby told Darry that Pony was in the lot with Johnny and both Soda and she volunteered to go get him when he was 5 minuets late for curfew but Darry wanted to see if Pony would get home on almost on time by himself. But obviously he didnt and Darry was pissed off. Darry looked up at Pony from his chair, putting down the newspaper he was reading. He was on his feet in a second. Ponyboy stood there, chewing on his fingernail. "Where the heck have you been? Do you know what time it is?" Baby never saw Darry madder than that in a long time. Ponyboy shook his head. "Well its two in the morning, kiddo. Baby said you were in the lot, how did you lose track of time?" Pony stammered,"I.... I went to sleep in the lot....." "You what?" Darry shouted, and Sodapop sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Hey Ponyboy," he said sleepily, "where ya been?" Baby could tell this wasnt going to end good. "I didnt mean to." Pony pleaded with Darry. "I was talking to Johnny and we both dropped off..." Darry shook his head, "what is the matter with you? Cant you use your head? You havent even got a coat on." Baby saw Pony get angry. "I said I didnt mean to..." Darry didnt like that answer, "I didnt mean to!" Darry shouted. "I didnt think! I forgot! That's all I hear out of you! Cant you think of anything?" "Darry..." Soda and I started, but Darry turned on us. "You two keep your trap shut! Im sick and tried of hearin' you's stick up for him." Baby was shocked, Darry had never yelled at Sodapop or her like that before. Baby watched as Ponyboy exploded. "You dont yell at them!" He shouted. Darry wheeled around and slapped Pony so hard that it knocked him against the door. Suddenly it was deathly quiet. They all frozen. Nobody in our family ever hit anyone. Soda was wide-eyed and Bay bet she looked the same. Darry looked at the palm of his hand where it had turned red then looked back at Ponyboy. Baby could see his eyes were huge with regret. "Ponyboy..." Ponyboy turned and ran out the door and down the faster than Baby ever saw him run. Darry screamed, "Pony, I didnt mean to!" but Pony was long gone by then.

The whole gang looked all over for Ponyboy and Johnny. But no one could find them. Baby was worried about her brother and boyfriend, she felt as if this might of been her fault. She let Ponyboy go to the lot, she should of went with him to make sure he got home on time. But she hadnt and now for all she knew Pony and Johnny could be all the way to Timbuktu by now. The day the police found Bob's body the police had brought Dallas in for questioning. If it was anyone who knew anything about the killing and where Ponyboy and Johnny were it would be Dallas. The police knew that, Baby knew that, the rest of the gang knew that. But Dallas denied any part in being involved in the killing but said that he heard that Pony and Johnny had taken off to Texas. Babygirl didnt believe that for a second, Dally wouldnt turn in Johnny for anything. But Two-Bit believed it and had tried to convince them all to go search for them down in Texas.  Two days after the discovery of Bob's body Baby walked in on Soda writing a letter to Ponyboy. "I know that Dally knows where Johnny and Pone are, he just wont say. I saw Pony's sweatshirt in Dally's room yesterday at Bucks. So Im going to give this to Dallas to give to Pony." Baby nodded, so she was right Dallas did know where they were. Once Soda was finished and had sealed the letter Baby asked if she could take it to Dally. Sodapop hesitated, "I dont know Baby, he might be at Buck's and you know Darry hates us being there." "Please Soda, I want to ask Dally where they are. I dont know maybe he'll tell me or give me a hint. I could use the 'Johnny's my boyfriend' point." Sodapop sighed, "alright. But don't stay any longer than needed ok?" Baby nodded. "Promise?" Baby held out he pinky to Soda, "pinky promise."  Baby hated being at Buck's alone but if it meant finding Pony and Johnny then she'd stay there forever.