Afraid of The Dark?

Everyone trudged along slowly as the evening fell. The mountains were darkened and the wind was cold. Everyone was very weary.

"We, of course, cannot go on tonight," Gandalf spoke after we had all eaten a mouthful. "The attack on The Redhorn Gate has tired us and we must rest here for a while."

"And then where are we to go?" Frodo asked.

"We still have our errand and journey before us." Replied Gandalf. "We must go on, or return back to Rivendell."

The hobbits' head arose with hope.

"I wish I were there right now." Said Pippin.

"Same, but how could we return without shame?" Frodo turned towards him.

"That's right." I nodded.

"So we must continue." Frodo sighed.

"There is a way that we may attempt," said Gandalf. "I thought from the beginning, when first I considered this journey, that we should try it. But it is not a pleasant way, and I have not spoken of it to the Company before. Aragorn was against it until the pass over the mountains had at least been tried."

"If it is a worse road than the Redhorn Gate, then it must be evil indeed," said Merry. "But you had better tell us about it, and let us know the worst at once."

'The road that I speak of leads to the Mines of Moria,' said Gandalf. Only Gimli lifted up his head; a smoldering fire was in his eyes. On all the others a dread fell at the mention of that name. Even to the hobbits, it was a legend of vague fear. My stomach lurched at the sound of the name. I wasn't sure if I was ready for the goblins that awaited in the dark mountain halls.

"The road may lead to Moria, but how can we hope that it will lead through Moria?" said Aragorn darkly.

"It is a name of ill omen," said Boromir. "Nor do I see the need to go there. If we cannot cross the mountains, let us journey southwards, until we come to the Gap of Rohan, where men are friendly to my people, taking the road that I followed on my way to this place. Or we might pass by and cross the Isen into Langstrand and Lebennin, and so come to Gondor from the regions near to the sea."

"Times have changed since you've been in the north, Boromir," I said. "Not to mention that it would be a foolish idea to come anywhere near Isengard with the ring. Another point is how long the journey could be, it'd take a year or more to pass through that path."

"Rosa speaks true, Boromir." Said Gandalf. "There is a chance that Dwarves will be present in the mines."

"I will tread the path with you, Gandalf!" said Gimli. "I will go and look on the halls of Durin, whatever may wait there-if you can find the doors that are shut."

"Good, Gimli!" said Gandalf. "You encourage me. We will seek the hidden doors together. And we will come through. In the ruins of the Dwarves, a dwarf's head will be less easy to bewilder than Elves or Men or Hobbits. Yet it will not be the first time that I have been to Moria. I sought there long for Thráin son of Thrór after he was lost. I passed through, and I came out again alive!"

"I too once passed the Dimrill Gate," said Aragorn quietly; "but though I also came out again, the memory is very evil. I do not wish to enter Moria a second time." I shuttered at Aragorn and Gandalf's comments.

"And I don't wish to enter it even once," said Pippin.

"Nor me," muttered Sam.

"Of course not!" said Gandalf. "Who would? But the question is: who will follow me if I lead you there?"