The Mountains

That morning was brighter than before. But the air was chill again; already the wind was turning back towards the east. For two more nights, we marched on, climbing steadily but slowly as the road wound up into the hills, and the mountains towered up, nearer and nearer. On the third morning Caradhras rose before us, a mighty peak, tipped with snow like silver, but with naked sides, dull red as if stained with blood.

"We're going to climb that?" I held my hand over my eyes to block the sun.

"It'll be much more difficult to walk around." Said Gandalf. "So, yes, Lady Rosa. Have you ever climbed a mountain before?"

"No, not that I can remember... Does a ski lift count?" I asked, but once I did I pressed my lips closed.

"What's a... ski lift?" Legolas asked.

"Um..." I thought for a minute about what I should say, "it is one of the many contraptions that inventors built where I come from."

"How does it work?" Pippin looked at me.

"Well, on the bottom of a mountain, is a set of gears that spin, making a rope move up the mountain to another set of gears and the whole thing goes in a circle," I explained. "Then this box, that carries people goes up with the rope. It makes it way easier to come and go."

Everyone looked at each other with curious glances. I breathed out. 'Fool of a Riana.'

"Now, no time to lose," said Gandalf abruptly, "Let's get on with the journey."

We set out again with good speed at first, but soon our way became steep and difficult. The twisting and climbing road had in many places almost disappeared, and was blocked with many fallen stones(twice I had almost fallen flat on my face.) The night grew dark under great clouds. A bitter wind swirled among the rocks. By midnight we had climbed to the knees of the great mountains. The narrow path now wound under a sheer wall of cliffs to the left, above which the grim flanks of Caradhras towered up invisible in the gloom; on the right was a gulf of darkness where the land fell suddenly into a deep ravine.
Oh joy, I sure do hope I don't fall!

With our backs to the wall of the mountain we laboriously climbed the sharp slope, the dim outlines of Aragorn and Gandalf were hardly in sight.

"I don't like this all," Sam grumbled just behind me.

"No one does, Sam. But it'll be over soon, not to worry." I attempted to cheer him up. When honestly, I'm scared of heights myself. I felt like my back was pressed to the mountain more than the others and every step I thought would be my last.

"Rosa, are you alright?" Pippin seemed to notice my anxiety.

"I'm okay, don't worry about me," I replied.

"Strider," Sam called for Aragorn. "Rosa doesn't look too good." 

"I said I'm okay, you didn't need to tell him." I swallowed air down my dry throat. 

Aragorn didn't seem to hear him, the wind was taking Sam's voice away.

"Rosa, drink some water," I heard Legolas. "And take a deep breath." 

My shaking hand reached into my duffle bag where I kept my water bag and slowly lifted the opening to my lips, drank a few gulps then put it back in the bag. I then took a deep breath and again moved forward.

After another few meters Gandalf halted, the snow thick on his shoulders and already three feet deep at the top of his boots. "This is what I feared." He said.

"Do you think it's a contrivance from the enemy?" Boromir asked. Gandalf shook his head. And we kept moving. Pippin and Merry slowly trudged in front of me. Being tall made it extremely irritating, if I could, I would pass them.