Decisions and More Books

It had been nearly two months in the House of Elrond, and November had gone by with the last shreds of autumn, and December was passing, when the scouts began to return. Some had gone north beyond the springs of the Hoarwell into the Ettenmoors; and others had gone west, and with the help of Aragorn and the Rangers had searched the lands far down the Greyflood, as far as Tharbad, where the old North Road crossed the river by a ruined town. Many had gone east and south; and some of these had crossed the Mountains and entered Mirkwood, while others had climbed the pass at the source of the Gladden River, and had come down into Wilderland and over the Gladden Fields and so at length had reached the old home of Radagast at Rhosgobel. Radagast was not there; and they had returned over the high pass that was called the Dimrill Stair. The sons of Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir, were the last to return; they had made a great journey, passing down the Silverlode into a strange country, but of their errand they would not speak to any save to Elrond.

No sightings of the Riders were to be reported, even the Great Eagles of The Misty Mountains had searched. This was actually good news because that meant the fellowships could be on their way towards Mordor.

I stood with Aragorn and the four hobbits as Elrond approached us. He summoned the four hobbits to him.

"The time has come." He said. "If the Ring is to set out, it must go soon. But those who go with it must nodded be aided by war or force. Are you will to be the Ring- bearer Frodo?"

"Yes." Frodo nodded, "and I will go with Sam."

"Then I will choose companions to go with you. The company of the Ring shall be nine, nine against the Nine Riders. With you and your faithful servant; Gandalf will go." Elrond began. "For the rest, they shall represent the Free Peoples of the World. Legolas shall be for the Elves, Gimli son of Gloin for the Dwarves. For the men you will have Aragorn son of Arathorn, for the Ring of Isildur concerns him closely."

"Strider!" said Frodo. Aragorn smiled. "I would have begged you to come. I thought you were going to Minas- Tirith with Boromir."

"He is, and therefore, Boromir will be in the company too." Said Elrond. "There are still two to be found, in the meantime we will set our minds towards that."

"But then that gives a reason for us to go!" Said Pippin. "We don't want to be left behind! We want to go with Frodo!"

"But you don't know what peril lies ahead of you." Elrond sighed.

"And neither does Frodo." I added in.

"That does not change my decision." Elrond looked at me.

"Then you will have to lock me up or tie me in a bag and send me back home." said Pippin. "Otherwise I will follow the company."

Elrond sighed again. "Very well then. The Nine is completed. The company will leave in seven days time." Elrond began to turn and leave.

Aragorn glanced down at me. I didn't know it, but the expression on my face showed fear and longing. "Lord Elrond, I have a question, or a request I suppose."

"Yes Aragorn?" Elrond turned back towards us.

"It would be an honor to serve along side Frodo, but I'm afraid I can't leave without my sister, Rosa." Aragorn placed his hand on my shoulder. Elrond looked at me for a moment, then back at Aragorn.

"Are you sure of this request?" He asked.

"Yes." Aragorn nodded.

"Then so be it. Ten, members of the company it is." Elrond nodded and walked away.

"Was that necessary?" I looked at Aragorn.

"Of course it was. Why would I leave without my sister?" Aragorn smiled.