Chapter 7: The Beaver's house

Depuis le début

"Well," Mr Beaver continued, "He's only the king of the whole wood! The top geezer! The real king of Narnia!"

Amelia noticed a slight flinch from Edmund as he heard the last sentence.The real king of Narnia. She looked at him skeptically, but his eyes only showed bitterness towards her. That was enough for her to back off. She felt that she had had enough of Edmund's bitterness for one day.

"He's been away for a long while," Mrs Beaver explained.

"But he just got back!" Mr Beaver excitedly interjected "and he's waiting for you near the stone table!"

Amelia turned to the door as she felt a cold breeze bristle past her. She noticed the sudden emptiness, Where's Edmund?

Following her instincts she moved towards the door and slipped outside, leaving the house without disturbing the conversation.

"Edmund!" she called as she excited. She shivered and her hands rubbed against her arms to keep the heat in. "Edmund!" she called again. She sighed as the deep feeling of worry set in her chest. She wasn't particularly fond of the boy, but she was worried about him. Who knew what could be found in these woods at night; it was dangerous.

She scanned the clearing, looking for any sign of him. She noticed the trail of foot prints in the ground that lead away from the clearing. Amelia argued with herself, should she got get him? Or go back and tell Peter? While she knew going back was the smarter choice, Amelia chose to go forward for fear that the boy was already too far away to be stopped before something bad happened.Getting Peter would only waste time.

Amelia's teeth chattered as she walked forward, only protected by her knee high socks, her skirt and her sweater that she brought with from the Professor's house. But it wasn't just cold, it was freezing, frosty, wintry and bleak. The wind blew into her face and it seemed to seep into the very core of her bones, chilling her to an almost unbearable point, but she had to find Edmund. She had to find him for Lucy. The little girl couldn't lose her big brother. Amelia had to find him before he got hurt.

She stumbled over a hill and came face to face with an extraordinary sight. A palace made from pure ice stood before her, it royal mightiness almost made her cringe. A dark feeling crept into Amelia's heart and the cold seemed to get worse. Her lips felt like icicles and her fingers like snow.

She saw a dark figure slowly walking across the plain below her and she instantly knew who it was. Edmund. She ran towards him as fast as she could. The place felt evil and dark. She had a feeling about who resided here.The White Witch. She didn't dare scream out his name for fear that someone would hear her and send guards after them, but she ran. She ran closer and closer. The closer she got, the harder it became. The presence of ice palace was dark, intimidating and over-powering to her. She was feeling weak and sore, but she kept running. For Lucy.

She wasn't fast enough. Edmund walked through the gates, before he could see her. Amelia's ears listened intently as a young cry traveled across the plain.

"Edmund!" Lucy.

Amelia turned back and saw the Pevensies along with Mr Beaver atop the hill. Peter's expression was hard, warning her not to do it. But Amelia smiled at them, almost like saying, don't worry, I'll look after him, before she too entered the gates of wrath.

She found herself in a courtyard of stone, surrounded by faces of terror. Amelia felt her heart break at the sight: crying fawns and dying unicorns, screaming centaurs and fighting soldiers; all frozen. Her frosty hand reached out towards the snout of a roaring lion, but the hand dropped limply to her side. There was something strange about the courtyard. It seemed to suck out all of her energy. Exhaustion was taking over. She feared she would collapse before she found Edmund. Come on Amelia. She pushed herself forward