Chapter 9

Taylor stared at the ceiling until she couldn't take it anymore, instead opting to look around the dark room; her eyes had adjusted to the darkness long ago. Soon her stare settled on the window to the side of the bed, the blinds were close, allowing only limited light to enter the room. She watched as the rare car passed by, its headlines momentarily illuminating the room as it did.

The girl besides her slept peacefully, half on top of Taylor. She had attempted falling asleep but failed miserably. She had felt comfortable at first but, now she couldn't ignore Karlie's presence no matter how hard she tried. She cursed herself for not getting up the second she was done. Taylor sighed, closing her eyes once more, though she knew it was all in vain.

Taylor wasn't sure how much time had passed, but at some point in the night Karlie started to move, ever so slightly, before shifting herself completely off of Taylor and onto the bed, still soundly asleep. Taylor waited a few seconds before getting up from the bed, being very careful when removing her arm from under the sleeping girl, not wanting to wake her. She wasted no time once free, and searched for her clothes, quickly getting dressed in the darkness. She glanced once more at Karlie's sleeping figure before exiting her bedroom. She looked so relaxed, Taylor almost wanted to laugh at how at odds Karlie's expression was to her own. She wondered if falling asleep with someone else was something she would ever be able to do again.

---------------

"Wakey, wakey!" Taylor groaned as she tried to sink herself deeper into the warmth of her bed, "Come on Taylor, we have a barbeque, and you said you would get the meat."

Taylor groaned again, her eyes still closed, "What time is it?"

"Ten, and the party is at two, so get on it, mate." Taylor listened as Ed's footsteps sounded further and further away, until the door was closed once more. It would be very easy to go back to sleep now that Ed was gone. The idea was too tempting not to take.

Taylor almost fell back into unconsciousness, when she heard her door open again.

"I have a bucked full of water and I have every intension of dumping it on you, if you don't get up right now, mate."

Taylor groaned loudly, finally untangling herself from her blanket, "You're a real pain in the ass, you know?"

"Oh, you love me and you know it," Ed said with a winning smile, "I'm gonna go get the drinks now, I'll see you in few."

Taylor sighed, watching her friend go, bucket in hand. After a minute, she got up in defeat.

------------------

The ginger browsed aisle after aisle of the liquor store, unsure of what to get. Would people even want to drink that early in the day? Beer seemed like the safe option, but he knew a few of the people invited didn't like beer. And what if they stayed later than planned, and they wanted to do shots.

Suddenly a voice interrupted his thoughts, "Need help looking for something?"

"Karlie," Ed exclaimed surprised, "You work here?"

"No but I visit often enough," the brunet said with a shrug.

Ed nodded, "Well maybe I can use your bartender-y advice. We're having a get together today, it's pretty early in the day so I don't know what I should get."

Karlie wasted no time dragging Ed around the store, pointing out different bottles as she went. He grabbed all her recommendations.

"You're a lifesaver," Ed commented as they stood in line, waiting for their turn. "You should come to the party."