Chapter 8

"Hey, how do you feel about having a small get together, slash party, tomorrow?" Ed asked suddenly. The two friends had been in the living room, watching a movie neither of them really cared about.

Taylor sat up on her chair and looked at Ed curiously, "Why?"

"I don't know, 'cause it's Friday." The ginger said with a shrug, "Just thought it might be fun."

"Okay," Taylor said going back to her precious lounging position on the couch, "What did you have in mind?"

"A barbeque, maybe."

"Alright, tomorrow I'll get the meat, you get the alcohol," she said, as she reached for some popcorn, "Who did you want to invite? 'Cause you should probably call them now."

"Just anyone we know, and like. I'll start making the calls later."

"Okay," Taylor yawned as she spoke, "Do you wanna go to bar? If so, we should probably get going."

"Naw," Ed said, sinking deeper into the couch, "You go. I think I'm gonna go to sleep early."

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow then," as she said that, she got up to grab her keys.

"Say hi to Karlie for me."

------------------

"So how exactly do you pick them?" Karlie questioned.

"I don't know, it's just a gut feeling I guess," Taylor said as she continued to examine the room. Soon after receiving her drink of the day, Taylor had mentioned to the younger girl that she was looking for someone to spend the night with. It subsequently prompted many question from Karlie, some which Taylor pretended not to hear.

"How about that one," Karlie said, gesturing to a girl sitting alone in the corner reading a book. She was pretty, Taylor thought, but she wasn't doing anything for the blonde.

"No," she said simply, and continued to look around.

"What! Why not? She's beautiful," Karlie said exasperated, "That's the 3rd girl I've pointed to that you've said no to."

"I told you, it's a gut thing," Taylor said, "Think of it as love at first sight, but much more shallow."

"Have you ever been in love?" There she went again, asking those questions Taylor didn't want to answer. The blonde stayed quiet and pretended not to hear her.

However, her thoughts had gone somewhere else, no longer focused on the task at hand. Of course she had been in love. She had just never been loved back.

"Hey, Taylor, I'll be right back. Josh is calling," Taylor was brought back to reality by Karlie's voice, she hadn't even heard the phone ring. The blonde watched as Karlie walked to the back, phone pressed to her ear.

Taylor rubbed her eyes with her hands, trying to force her thoughts away. She looked around the room, but it was no use. Karlie's question had fazed her, she no longer felt in the mood to sleep with a random stranger. She reached into her jacket and took out her pack of cigarettes to help take the edge off. But she knew she needed something stronger than nicotine, as thoughts of her ex infiltrated her head.

She was halfway through her cigarette when she heard a loud bang coming from the back room, worried something might've happened to Karlie, she made her way over the bar and into the back room. A few trays were scattered across the room, with a very angry looking Karlie standing in the middle, her hands pulling at her hair.

"What's wrong Karlie?" Taylor slowly made her way around the mess the younger girl had just made, trying to reach her. She felt genuinely worried, she had never seen Karlie mad; Taylor had come to believe it was impossible for the girl to be anything but sunshiny.