Pins and Needles

~Flashback~

"Jay-Jay!"

"Don't call me that." Nine year old Jay grumpily stomped his foot and glared at me. "I've got chocolate?" I taunted him, waving the galaxy bar in his face. His eyes immediately perked up. "See, I can always cheer you up. You can't hate me." I laughed, breaking off a bit and giving it to him.

We munched on our chocolate before he turned to me. "So... you're moving soon?" He asked, his eyes looking for any hint of a laugh in my eyes that would mean I was joking. I shook my head. "I wish I wasn't but I am." He looked away sadly and kicked at some leaves that were piling up. I felt really bad. "Hey, come on, it's not even Halloween yet, and theres no way I'm moving until after Christmas." I smile slightly, hoping he does too. No smile. I sit down on the bench next to the skate park where we were hanging out, and kicked my heels in the ground.

"I'm gonna miss you Kylie."

My head shot up and I stared at him. The words had been very quiet, and I wasn't so sure I'd heard him right. "What?"

He walked over to the bench and sat down next to me, shoving his hands in his coat pockets, before replying. "I said nothing." He mumbled, turning a bright shade of magenta. "No.. You said you're gonna miss me." I slowly stated. He blushed even more and nodded. "See, you did hear me." He joked, nervously laughing. I nudged him playfully. "Come on, don't get so sentimental, it's likely to be Christmas next year before I move." I smiled, and finally, Jay cracked his toothy smile. "Yeah." He stood up and grabbed my hand. "Let's go get some hot chips or something. I got money." He grinned, and I laughed softly, tightening my grip around his hand.

I still remembered the feel of it, those lonely nights in New Zealand.