"That's true," Esri hugged him back. "In-can-des-cent Luka. Good going. Are you saying Ada and I are out of a job?" She broke away from Luka and hooked her arm into Ada's.

Ada looked up at Luka. "You know how greatly it thrills us to become intimately acquainted with all the principals and vice-principals at our schools."

Luka grinned, "Well, I'm not exactly a little kid anymore, in case you haven't noticed. So even if I end up in trouble, you don't have to look after me like you used to. Though I do always like your company."

Luka was a hyperactive kid, and his overbearing exuberance frequently landed him in trouble. In earlier school years, he often ended up being sent to the principal's office, where the girls would collect him at the end of the day.

Ada said, "Library time, Mr. Incandescent?"

Luka groaned, "Sure. But you know, you two are kind of boring some times."

"And? . . . " prompted Ada.

"My Mom says she never could have raised me without you two. Ok, so study time, here we go. I'll race your short little legs there, Ms. Brainiac," said Luka.

Ada glared at Luka, then smiled, "I look forward to the day when I'm a famous neurosurgeon and they wheel you into the operating room after you've landed on your noggin' trying out for Cirque de Soleil. I'll make you retract every shorty comment you've ever made to me before I reattach your brain."

Ada and Luka walked on, continuing to banter back and forth. Esri lagged behind, thinking about her dream. How different it was to walk for days outdoors and see no buildings or sidewalks or cars or roads or power lines - and no stores, totally relying on eating directly from nature.

Ada turned around, "Hello? Esri, you with us? You look adrift."

Esri slowed, absorbed in watching a squirrel leaping between two trees. It was Luka's turn to speak now, "Yo, Es. That would be a squirrel - you know, rats with fluffy tails."

Esri turned to them, "Ohhh, just thinking. How would you go about catching a squirrel if you had to hunt them and didn't have a gun? Probably not a lot of meat. I wonder what they taste like?"

"Uck, disgusting," Ada grimaced. "Why would you even contemplate such a thing?"

"I dunno. I was wondering what if suddenly we didn't have any place to buy food. Like all the grocery stores or restaurants were gone. What would we do?"

"Well, we'd probably all start killing each other. Maybe start eating each other until only the baddest and meanest were left," said Luka.

"Thanks for that vote of confidence for humankind, Luka." Ada shook her head and then lowered her voice. "Hey, look, ahead of us. Isn't that Solithh?" It was their code name for Scary Old Lady in the Haunted House.

They watched the older woman slowly bumping her bundle-buggy ahead of her. She had a kind of rocking way of walking, like something was wrong with one of her legs. Though she was older and moved awkwardly, she emanated a certain energy. She had short grey hair, piercing eyes, no make-up or jewelry and usually wore a colourful tunic over her pants.

They were fascinated by her and a little bit scared of her, especially when they were younger. Her spooky house sat back from the street partially hidden by a tall cedar hedge. The ivy-covered brick house was two-stories with several leaded glass windows and a turret in front. For the three friends, it was something out of a Grimms' fairy tale.

Esri came out of her dream reverie, "That is so weird. You know, Jilly and I saw Solithh this morning, too, on the way to school. I was going to tell you guys. You hardly ever see Solithh away from her creepy house. Twice in one day. Very odd."

"Remember how we used to go to her house on Halloween, and most of the other kids were too scared?" said Luka. "She'd take forever to come to the door, give us the old Solithh stare, and hand us each a quarter." Luka turned around to Esri and Ada and did a dead-on imitation of Solithh peering around her door.

"Luka, stop it. She'll see you," said Ada

Esri teased, "And she'll put a curse on you, if you don't watch out."

'Ya, right. So now you think she's a witch. You used to think she was Amelia Earhart and that she hurt her leg when her plane crashed," Luka said.

"Ok, so I was a little off on my timing with Amelia Earhart but you must admit, there's something about Solithh that's intriguing. I'd love to know her story," said Esri.

They watched Solithh's rocking movements as she continued down the sidewalk. As they did, Solithh stopped and turned around. She stared at them, nodded several times, turned, and shuffled away.

"OH – MY – GOD ! ! ! What was that?" Esri shuddered.

"She only nodded at us, Es. Aren't you over-reacting a little? I thought that was my job," said Luka.

But Esri had seen more than just a nod.