Chapter 15

Lydia was frozen in place and, for a few seconds, her mind went completely blank and refused to function. When she finally did regain her thoughts they were going around in so many circles that her head throbbed.

Johns here? She thought to herself over and over again, that one thought to circulate in her head like a mini hurricane. She knew that he would come eventually but why now? Now that Lydia was beginning to enjoy her stay. What should she do? Should she go back with her fiancée to her father's kingdom? And live the rest of her life as a silent obedient wife? No... She didn't like that idea... Especially now that she had the opportunity to live a full, happy life. She could have that with Lithon, couldn't she?

Still, in front of the door to the library, Lithon waited anxiously for Lydia to reply. She's been silent ever since he told her the news and with every passing second, he grew more worried that she would leave him. He didn't want her to go. He wanted her to stay by his side. However... By the side of a dragon was not the right place for a princess... She deserved so much more than he could give her... She deserved more than to be hunted every time someone laid eyes on her...that's what would happen if she got involved with a dragon...

"I..." Lydia began and Lithon looked sadly at her. "I want to stay..." She said softly and blushed madly at her own outspokenness. She didn't want to go back. Her mind was made up. She was staying. She smiled as she was proud of herself for taking the initiative to say what he wanted. What she truly wanted, deep down in her heart. It was the first time she had ever done so. But her smile soon turned into a frown as she saw Lithon begin to shake his head.

"You can't stay here." He spoke firmly and Lydia felt her heart crack. "You don't belong here, you don't belong with me..." He almost whispered, his own heartbreaking with every word he spoke. He didn't want her to leave... But it was best for her...

"You..." Lydia started but stopped and Lithon looked up into her eyes. He was startled to see tears there, and a look of pure and utter heartbreak upon her face. "You... Don't want me?" She sobbed as she turned away from him, trying to hide her tear-streaked face.

Lithon's breathe caught in his throat. He couldn't leave it like this, he would regret it for the rest of his life if he did.

"Lydia." He said in a soothing voice, moving closer to her. "I do want you, need you even, how could I not?" He told her as he brushed his fingers along her cheek.

"B-but... T-then why w-w" She stuttered, unable to speak as sobs consumed her. Instantly she found herself in Lithon's arms as he made soothing hushing notices next to her ear.

"I do want you! I really do! It's just... Staying with me would mean that your life would be at risk if anyone ever recognized you. You won't be able to see your family again. Ever. They might kill you." He said sternly but with sadness, trying to make her understand. Lydia slowly nodded, she did understand but she knew what she wanted. Gathering her thoughts together she sat up straight and looked into his eyes.

"I'm aware of that, Lithon. I know how much humans hate dragons. But it's only because they don't understand! Surely we could show them? Even if we fail I still want to stay by your side. I don't want to go back, ever." She finished confidently. However, she didn't miss Lithon flinch when she mentioned that they could show people what dragons are really like.

"Showing them is pointless." He mumbled. "We've tried before and the consequences were too... Too much to bare." He said turning away from her. He didn't want history to repeat itself...

"Is... Is that what happened to Aderria?" She spoke softly, afraid that bringing up this topic would be going too far. Lithon stiffened at the mention of his sister's name but eventually, he sighed, releasing all the tension in his body, and nodded slowly.

"She didn't inherit the ability to shift into a dragon form as I did, not all dragon born do, even among pure dragon families like mine, it's a rare trait. But that didn't make her any less of a dragon. She still had the senses and the instincts that all dragons possess. However, she was also curious, extremely ambitious, and uncontrollably stubborn... She thought that the relationship between dragons and humans was based on a misunderstanding that happened many centuries ago. She thought that she could fix it..." Lydia placed her finger on his lips to stop him from continuing. She could guess the rest of the story and she didn't want him to go through the pain of saying what happened out loud. He would basically be realizing the moment and she didn't want that.

"I understand that this must be painful to hear but we need to try." Lithon went to protest but She quickly continued so he didn't get the chance. "It's different now, I'm not a dragon, I'm the only daughter of the King and Queen. I can convince them." She said confidently but Lithon still shook his head.

"No, I won't lose you too." He spoke and the pain in his voice made Lydia's heartbreak for him.

"We need to try." She said determined not to back down.

Lithon stared into her eyes for a long time, trying to find any hint of doubt that she might have, but he found none. Still unhappy about it, but knowing he was unable to convince her otherwise, Lithon gravely nodded and did the only thing he knew he could do to protect her.

"Fine. But I'm coming too."