chapter 1

"It's a big world out there Kellin," my momma told me as she handed me my backpack and flower crown. "You could always continue homeschooling here at home,"

"No momma," I told her. "I'm a big boy and I've gotta put on my big boy pants,"

"You're right," she sighed and smiled warmly at me, discretely wiping away an unshed tear, "You're just growing up so fast, I'm gonna miss my little baby boy,"

"I'm still your little boy, momma," I smiled. "Just who's deciding to explore his boundaries of 'big boyhood' stage,"

"Okay Kellin, you better head outside to catch your bus before I change my mind and hold you captive,"

I nodded and gave her a quick hug, as she kissed my forehead and sent me off outside. I yelled out a goodbye and she returned the gesture.

I went up to my bus stop and stood there a little awkwardly next to a girl with brown locks and big brown eyes. She was, I think, waiting for the bus while smoking a cigarette. I must've been staring too long as she looked right back at me.

"Did you want a smoke, kid?" She asked. I quickly shook my head no and muttered a 'no thank you'. "What's your name, kid?"

"Kellin," I replied shyly. "Kellin Bostwick,"

"Taylor Jardine," she smirked. "But you can call me Tay,"

"Um, okay," I looked down at my feet and waited until the bus came up to us to a stop. I hopped us the steps, careful not to slip, and looked for the nearest empty seat.

Unfortunately, the last empty seat was way in the back so as I made my way back there I got all these strange glances that made me highly uncomfortable. Was my flower crown crooked? Did they not like my Nyan Cat backpack? Was there something in my teeth?

I took a deep breath in and sat in the seat and scooted close to the window and pulled out my phone and played a game of Don't Tap The White Tiles. I enjoyed my little moment of somewhat solitude until my phone was snatched out of my hand.

"Hey!" I whined, attempting to reach for it back. I made grabby hands for it, the boy laughed at me.

"Oh you mean this?" He smirked. "Hm,"

He started to search through it, I was then able to snatch it from him.

"Oh, you're a boy?" He laughed, "You're such a faggot,"

He sat himself by me and shoved me by the window to where I was being smothered and I didn't like that one bit. I attempted to push him away, but that didn't seem to work. So I grabbed a fistful of his spiky hair and yanked it.

"Ow, fuck!" He yelled, he struck me across the face, making my flower crown fly off, and moved to another seat.

It hurt like hell and I had to put so much restraint on myself not to cry. I pulled out my phone and turned on the camera app. As I examined my left cheek I could easily see a bruise quickly forming. I've never been hit before, and by the looks of it, I bruise a lot easier than a tomato. Also, while looking at my phone I saw a hairline crack in it.

And I just got this phone! It was an iPhone 6s, you know the one with the pink back. That really made me wanna cry. I sighed and put my phone away and turned towards the window.

As, we arrived at the school, I made a beeline to the front office. I needed my schedule.

"Kellin Bostwick," I told the lady.

"Ah yes, Kellin, here you are, woah-," she looked up at me and must've saw the big bruise. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay," I sighed. "Can you tell me where the nurse is? I think I need ice,"