Conflict 8: Nostalgia

Start from the beginning

   "Yes, but um..." She glanced at the piece of paper on the counter he was just signing, "They just sold out"

   "What?"

   "I was gonna get Batman: Arkham Knight but apparently you just bought the last one" She tried to make her tone light and hide the displeasure she felt, but it came out too forceful.

   "Well, cheer up, dudette: The hero will save the day!" The girl raised her head, which was hanging before while she trying to hide her frown "I still haven't paid for it. That means that you can totally have it"

   Name who normally would've declined such an offer, considered it, "R-really?"

   Alfred nodded with a certain firmness in his movement that told the girl that he won't take no for an answer.

   "O-okay then" She stuttered, unable to conceal the growing grin on her face that rooted from her chest that was pounding with joy, "Thanks, Alfred"

   "Anything for a damsel in distress!" He put his hands on his hips, attempting to imitate a heroic pose.

"Thanks for the burgers, dudette!" Alfred munched on his third McDonalds BBQ Ranch burger while Name nibbled on her Sakura mochi as they strolled around the mall.

   "The least I could do"

   "Hey look!" Alfred wrung his arm around the girl's and pointed.

   "An arcade?" She glanced at the lively arcade with its flashing LED lights, and cheering children and young adults alike.

   "C'mon!"

   "Woah!" Alfred pulled her along by the arm as they ran inside the game room.

"It's been a while since I visited an arcade" Name ran her fingers across the air hockey table.

   "Yeah?" Alfred walked towards the opposite end of the table.

   "I used to play a lot with my family" she said, nostalgia fleeting in her voice.

   "Used to?"

   "I, uh" She shrugged and touched the black mallet, "I decided that I'd be a doctor, and began taking my studies seriously so... I couldn't go out as often as I used to"

   The puck hit her mallet, surprising her. She faced Alfred who held up his mallet "Care to play?"

   "What? I told you, I haven't played in forever"

   "Yeah but you used to play, right? So what if you're a little rusty?"

   "But..."

   "Are you afraid that I'd serve you your ass?"

   She tilted her head. He stood with his chest puffing out, challenging her. A smile tugged her lips and she licked her teeth, "Game on"

   She served and he hit the puck back to her. She swung her mallet across the smooth surface but missed. The puck entered the goal. Alfred whistled and raised his arms up, "And the crowd goes wild! Woohoo!" He clamped his hands together and started pounding the air.

   Name giggled, "Don't get too optimistic, Jones" She positioned herself and the mallet. Alfred did the same, and this time he served.

   The two kept playing until their arms got too tired and numb to go any further.

   "That was awesome!" Alfred lifted both fists up in the air as they got out the mall.

   "I have to admit," she followed him, "It was"