54: 23 Hours Remaining - Step 5

Start from the beginning

In a way they reminded me of each other. If she were human she would be a perfect match for Jay.

I scratched behind her ear before saying, "Thank you."

She whined as I started walking away from her. I knew that after this stage I couldn't go back. No matter what it was, I just knew.

I walked back to the entrance of the cave and stopped dead in my tracks.

I stared at a healthy looking Jay and gasped. His face wasn't pale anymore, his eyes were slightly brighter but still held fear, he was standing up by himself and his heart beat was stronger.

Oh, this was not good.

This was not good at all.

Why would they get rid of his illness if it didn't mean something?

"Jay is feeling much better now, aren't you Jayden?"

He glanced at me before nodding. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed. I could see he was obviously feeling better. His body was full of energy that had been reserved for the past seven days.

"You look wonderful, Lonny. You're glowing." Eli said with a soft voice.

I rolled my eyes. "Why did you get rid of the Malaria? There's an obvious reason."

"There is. Jayden is no longer needed as blackmail. You're willing. Ready. There's no reason for him to be in pain if you're now willing. But we will still keep him."

I started to nod slowly as I watched Jay. He was scared and I could tell Eli could see it.

"Ready for your final stage?"

I inhaled deeply and nodded.

"Good."

His hand suddenly covered my eyes.

My body went limp and everything turned black.

My mind was thankfully still open but he must have known I would try it because he chuckled and said, "You're not going to know a thing until you get there."

**

My eyes popped open and I stood up from the ground to look around. I whipped around a few times thinking about where I was. I stared down at my reflection in the familiar river and gasped.

This was the forest by the house...

Eli popped out in front of me and I took a step toward him. "Why are we here?"

"I want you to do something before we start." He said as he came forward.

"What?"

"Remove your emotions."

I nodded unquestioningly. "How?"

He smirked evilly. "You know exactly how. You've done it before."

"Yes, I remember." Referring back to the day when I burnt down both Fayetteville and Raleigh. I'd pushed aside all emotions when I burnt those towns down. I took a deep breath and pushed aside everything I've ever felt.

I felt sorrow, sympathy, happiness, lust, envy, anger, pride...
And love.

When I opened my eyes and it was like seeing everything in a new light.

I felt completely empty.

The red haze flickered but disappeared quickly.

Eli stood in front of me, grabbed my arms and told me what stage five was. I wasn't surprised. I knew it had something to do with them.

Why else would we be here.

As he finished explaining what I had to do, I didn't ponder on the idea long. This was the main event. The big decider. And now that he'd already told me to push aside any feeling or emotion I didn't refuse.

I started walking through the forest and I could feel Eli watching.

Every step I took was hot. The trees I walked past started smoking. The snow beneath my feet melted and the floor turned black.

I shielded any of my thoughts and energy so they couldn't detect me.

I knew where everyone was. Liz and Joseph were in the study going over a map of the places they'd been through. Maryanne was in the living room sleeping. Tristan in the kitchen with his face in his hands...

And Gabriel in the bedroom. I wasn't sure what he was doing. His energy was off and his body was slumped as he stared at a wall full of photos. I could see his face... but I felt nothing. Having no emotions can do that to you. I've wanted to see his face... feel his warmth. I've wanted to be close to him for a week... but as I shut my eyes and watched him pace around the room... as I watched his beautiful face frown constantly... as I watched his gorgeous blue eyes downcast for the fifth time...

I felt nothing.