A new beginning

Despite her everyday actions returning, Marian had changed as a person, and the people were beginning to take notice. Morgan abandoned her garden to sprint to Marian's house, golden curls bouncing behind her as her feet fell in a frantic rythm. Abandoning her usually soft knock, she banged her fist on the door worridly. "Marian! Open up, please! It's important!" Suddenly, Marian was before her, a smile upon her usually neutral face. She grabbed her and pulled her inside, a few giggles erupting as she did so. Marian's somewhat angry demeanour was no more, and had been replaced by the very image of mania. 

"Oh, Morgan, isn't it a beautiful day? Although it's cold, it's not uncomfortable, and I feel quite energized by it," Marian rambled on, practically glowing. Morgan's saddened stare stopped her dead in her tracks, replacing her chipper mood with worry. "What's the matter? Are you alright?" Marian asked, pulling over a small chair and letting her best friend sit down.

"Marian," Morgan began, fear filling her voice and tears beginning to pool in her green eyes, "You're acting so... Strange. People are beginning to take notice. What's going on?" She looked at Marian, who now looked melancholy as usual. 

"Morgan... I'm sorry for acting different. I'm really happy now, and I know it's causing a stir. I can't control it though. I... I met her. The girl from the forest. She was beautiful and she made me laugh... And when she smiled," A sigh came from her lips as she wilted, her cheeks tinting red, "Everything lit up. She was, both figuratively and literally, magical. And I need to see her again, Morgan! I need her to see how much I care and want her and how much she really means to m-"

"Stop, please," Morgan interjected, standing up, "As happy as I am for you, you need to weigh the consequences." Morgan grabbed Marian's shoulders, holding her still, "Marian, if you leave to go to her, I think you shouldn't come back."

"Why wouldn't I come back?" Marian inquired, tears brimming in her eyes. Morgan went on to explain that someone in the village had been watching Marian as she watched Petra, and the night she disappeared, had told the entire general public. They had been rallying to hunt her down the next time she returned from one of her little 'adventures'. Morgan sobbed onto her dear friend's shoulder as she weighed her choices. Marian knew that she would be happiest with Petra, free from her strict community and her daily responsibilities, but she also knew that she wanted her best friend. She couldn't keep herself from chiming in to the water works, melodic sobs filling the room. They could have been harmonizing, had the situation not been so dire. 

Morgan looked into her best friend's eyes and made the biggest personal sacrifice she would ever have to. "Marian, I want you to go. Be with her. Be free from a society that will never understand you, will never even make an attempt to understand you. You're my best friend, and I only want what's best for you, which is why I'm saying this. I love you with all my heart, and I'll miss you dearly." She hugged Marian tightly before helping her pack some vital belongings into a bag. 

"I'll never forget you, Morgan." Marian said as she walked out of the only home she'd ever known, the words lingering in the air as she walked away from the village that both oppressed and protected her, watching it fade into a white fantasy. She then trudged towards the nook where she knew Petra would go, and waited for her hero.