Chapter Thirty Four

Chapter Thirty Four

            The ride was definitely less pleasant than the ride to Atlanta had been. When Damon had woke her up that morning to tell her it was time to go her head had been pounding and her eyes felt like someone had poured sand in them. But even in her hung over state she had a decent time on the ride back. The only difference besides the hangover was last time she had been escaping everything and now it felt like they were just getting closer again.

            It was about five when Damon pulled up outside her house and kissed her goodbye. He promised to see her after school the next day and told her to sleep off the hangover.

            When she got into the house she found only Jeremy home. She could see that he was trying not to laugh when he saw how hung over she was and she just rolled her eyes.

            “How’s dad?” Elena asked.

            Jeremy shrugged, “I wouldn’t know, I saw him for a grand total of a minute this morning before he left for work. I spent the rest of the day with Sadie.”

            “Work on a Sunday? He never works on Sundays.” Elena said, “wait what were you doing with Sadie?”

            Elena raised her eyebrows when he mumbled, “nothing,” and his face turned beet red.

            “No seriously she just dropped by the house cause she heard that you and Damon took off and thought I would want some company. So we just hung out for the day.”

            “Yeah and that’s why your face is the exact colour of a tomato.” Elena replied. With a giggle she stuck her tongue out at her brother, joking around with him like this made her remember when they were younger.

            Jeremy threw one of the sofa cushions at her and turned back to playing the game he had paused when Elena came in.

            Before Elena could go up to her room to unpack her bag there was a knock at the door. She opened it to reveal a tall man with olive toned skin and well kept dark brown hair. Just like the first time she saw him he was wearing a suit and pulled it off brilliantly.

            “Elijah.” Elena said.

            Elijah nodded and smiled at her, “I assume you know why I am here?”

            Elena nodded.

            “Well?”

            “If I agree to do what I can to help you kill Klaus you will protect everyone I care about?” Elena asked.

            Now it was Elijah’s turn to nod, “if you make this deal no harm will come to those you love.”

            “Then there isn’t really much of a choice,” Elena said holding out her hand, “we have a deal.”

            Smiling broadly Elijah shook her hand, “the first thing I want you to do is stay here. No not in your house, just stay in town, no more impromptu road trips. It is much harder to keep an eye on you when you aren’t in Mystic Falls, second I want you to keep yourself safe as a human.”

            When Elena nodded to show that she understood Elijah turned and began walking away. But before he could get on the porch Elena called out, “how long do you think it will be until you are able to kill him?”

            “If all goes according to plan this should all be over by the next full moon.” Elijah replied.

            Elena’s eyes widened, the next full moon was only a week away.