The Feeling is Mutual

Start from the beginning

She was still grinning, reminding me of Patrick the starfish, when I turned to make sure if she heard me.

“Don’t you ever do that on Saturday. I don’t want Ji Won and Tae Yeon to think that I’m best friends with a retard.”

I got in to my room just in time as she threw a cushion on me, barely hearing the words she’s saying in return. I just shook my head while laughing and went on to change my clothes.

****************

SIMON

I can’t believe I tried to kiss her! What would she think of me?

I kept on thinking of this as I drive back to the condo. I’m aboard the elevator now, going to my room, but I still can’t erase the thought out of my head.

My hand landed on my cheek. The feel of her lips is still lingering on my skin.

But she kissed me. She knew that I wanted to do it. Maybe, she doesn’t want me to get embarrassed, so she did it instead.

“You made a complete fool of yourself, Yun Ho!” I exclaimed, slapping my forehead. “You’re such a jerk!”

Good thing, I was alone on the elevator, so no one would think that I’ve gone nuts, talking and hitting myself.

Should I call her and say sorry? But what for? She kissed me because we’re friends and she said it’s okay. Should I tell her that that’s not what I think?

“Moron! You think she’d take it easily?” talking to myself again. “She’ll freak out for sure.”

The lift opened and I stepped out to go to my unit. I let out a deep sigh as I closed the door behind me. I tried to clear my thoughts and forget about it.

Trying to suppress my feelings for Ela becomes more and more of a burden for me. I wanted to call her, hear her voice again, her laugh. But we’ve been together, talking all afternoon. She might think that I’m some kind of stalker already.

If I wanted our relationship to progress, I need to take things slow. I don’t want to push her away by doing things without thinking first. Our first encounter is one good example already, and I don’t want to go through all the hassle again of getting her back.

You have to control yourself. I just told to myself.

But here I am now, picking my phone and dialing her number. I was just about to cancel the call, realizing what I’m doing, when she already answered.

“Hello, Simon?” the sound of her voice was heavenly.

“Yah.. uh.. Hi.” I sound like A geek talking to a cheerleader he has a crush on.

“Hope I didn’t disturb you or something. I know we were just together this afternoon, but I just want to call and check up on you.”

Check up on you?! Is she in the hospital?! Did someone died?! That is so lame, Simon!

“Oh.. I see.” She must be having the same idea. I should’ve thought of a good excuse first before calling her.

“Well, I’m doing fine. Anyway, I already told Rachel about the dinner. As usual, she went ecstatic.”

I laughed. “That friend of yours is really something.” I was happy she was able to change the subject. “I bet Tae Yeon and Ji Won would really enjoy her presence.”

“I’m actually worried about that. Chel sometimes tend to lose her sanity.” She jokingly said.

“No problem. You’re there as her psychiatrist. Just don’t forget to bring tranquilizers.” I replied teasingly.

“Yah, right. It’s nice to be able to practice my profession at times.” I can hear the smile in her voice. She once told me that she really wanted to be a doctor.

“Yup. Just like what you did to me when we first met…” I absentmindedly said.

Oops! Why did I did I say that?!

There was silence on the other line. “Uhm.. Ela? Are you okay? Gabby?” If I could just bring back what I’ve said.

“Look, I’m sorry. Forget that I said that.” I want to kill myself now. “I don’t really mean to bring that up again. I apo-”

“It’s okay.” She cut me. “You don’t really need to apologize. I know you don’t mean anything.”

She was sincere on saying this, but there’s a tinge of sadness in her voice. “It’s in the past. We’re friends now, right?”

Not to make her suffer any further, I agreed. But my conscience is still hitting on me regarding what happened at her house an hour ago.

“Ela, I know I shouldn’t bring this up too, but I just want to say sorry about what happened today.” My mouth has become dry.

“You know... about trying to kiss you. I shouldn’t have done that.”

“Simon, I should be the one apologize. I was the one who kissed you out of nowhere.” She retaliated.

Why is she saying sorry?! That’s the best thing that happened today.

“No. It’s no big deal. Sorry I overreacted. I know, it’s just a friendly kiss. It’s not like we made out or something, right?” I said.

How I wish we did… Whoa! Get a hold of yourself, Yun Ho!

She gasped, taken aback. I’m not really good with words. I’m an epic fail!

She must’ve realized it and let out a dry laugh, then finally said, “Of course, it’s just a friendly kiss.”

Silence again.

I still want to talk to her, but obviously we’re getting more and more awkward as we go on, and it’s my entire fault.

I finally said, “I don’t want to bother you anymore. It’s kinda late anyway. I know you need to sleep now.”

I scratched my head and continued. “So maybe I’ll just call again if there are any updates regarding on Saturday, okay?”

“Okay.” She sounded a little relieved.

Finally, I was able to do something right. I was about to end the call when she stopped me.

“Uhm.. Simon?” There was a little uncertainty in her tone.

“Yes?”

“This may sound cheesy but, thanks for being a good friend.” I imagined her looking at me and smiling. “You really mean a lot to me.”

Why is she saying this? But whatever her reason is, it made me feel like the happiest man on earth.

“You don’t have to thank me. You’ve already done a lot for me.” I replied in all honesty. “We’ve only met for a while but you’ve already become an important part of my life too.”

Yes. You mean the world to me. I love you so much.

“Alright. I have to go now. Good night, Simon. Sweet dreams.”

She really got me.

“Good night. Sweet dreams, too.” I replied. Then we both hung up.

I sure will have sweet dreams. And they will be all about you.

I'm not sure if the title is good. Please do comment if you think so too. Also, if this chapter is the same. Thanks everyone!~Ü