Arc 2, Chapter 14

The Minting

"So this is the Mercenary Guild?" Matthew asked, gesturing to the large building before the group of five.

Victor glanced up at the multi-story establishment, swallowing down festering anxiety.

It was large, around ten stories, and had the words "Alcorith Horizons" inscribed on it. It reminded Victor of an office building, but the guild operated a bit differently.

Based on the information he had been exposed to throughout his childhood, Victor had formulated a basic layout of the guild's operation. He had heard that most of the floors were simply offices for the more wealthy mercenary teams, while other stories served as meeting or training rooms. The top floors were reserved for the guildleader's business, which included anything from sleeping quarters and private conference chambers.

Members advertised their services at the forum located on the base floor, but they could also post their fliers on other boards, such as the one at the police station. Citizens in need of help either display their own specific request letter or search the board for a reasonably priced mercenary to hire. Once the job is finished, a portion of the remuneration is given to the guild, which in turn funds charities and community events.

Umbra and Matthew took Victor by the hand, leading him through the automatic doors and into the lobby.

The lobby was neat and orderly, and wasn't at all what Victor expected from an organization of united vigilantes. Neutral-colored couches sat on either sides of the room, and potted plants flanked each armrest. Several painting of various humans and magical creatures hung on the wall, their acrylic eyes gazing down harshly on the nervous boy. To Victor's relief, the lobby was relatively empty- the only other person besides their small group was the cheery eyed receptionist behind the counter.

"Good morning!" the pink-haired young lady called from across the room, her green eyes lighting up. "The forum is in the back," she explained, gesturing at the door on the far right end of the lobby. "Would you like me to escort you?"

Umbra shook his head, letting go of Victor's hand and gliding to the counter. "That won't be necessary, ma'am. My companions and I were actually interested in enlisting here and becoming members of Alcorith Horizons. Would you care to assist us in that regard?"

She nodded, her fingers sliding to the intercom button on the her desk. "Yes sir! I'll call someone that can help-"

"So these people wish to become mercenaries, Berri?" A deep voice intoned, startling the receptionist.

A tall man slipped through the door behind the counter, followed by a large, black wolf with gray eyes.

"Forgive me for eavesdropping, but I couldn't help but be interested. I'll show you where to enlist, sir."

The person that had spoken was a strange looking man, with a slender, serious face and intense scarlet eyes. His hair, trimmed precisely so that it barely touched his shoulders, was a pastel lavender color. He wore a light blue trench coat, with a dark blue shirt and black slacks underneath.

"M-Mister Infinity-" Berri exclaimed, looking nervous.

Infinity cut her off with a mere rise of his hand. "No need for your concern, Berri. This is a simple task." he crouched down, patting the monstrous canine at his feet. The creature wagged his tail furiously, tongue lolling of his great, fang-filled maw. He waved his fingers, a ghost of a smile coming to his lips. "Come, follow Ebone and I." He turned on his heels, slinking through the door Berri had pointed out as the place of enlistment.

Umbra shrugged, taking Victor by the hand. "Let's go."

Victor, Umbra, Aunora, Esper, and Matthew followed Infinity into a smaller, less spacious room. Infinity had been kind enough to flip on the light switch, revealing all that was in the room.

It was a step down from the sophisticated lobby the group had just been it, as it was simply a carpeted room with a paper-covered desk in the middle of it. Infinity immediately rushed behind the desk, shuffling through the clutter of documents.

"Ah, this desk is a mess..." he muttered under his breath. "Please excuse me while I organize this disaster." He glanced at Ebone, who had curled at his feet. "Ebone, fraternize with our guests while I do this." The creature nodded, standing up and bounding towards Victor.

Victor staggered back, squeezing his fingernails into Umbra's hand. Victor had very specific guidelines when it came to animals, and the massive, shaggy wolf violated every single point. Sharp teeth, claws, dog, crazy eyes, probably three times my body weight... How is it possible for an animal to be so scary?! Victor thought frantically, his head bumping against Matthew's chest. The two men reconized his panic, and Matthew and Umbra carefully stepped in front of Victor.

The dog paused, sitting on his haunches and lapping up the drool that ran down his mouth. With small, cheerful bark, Ebone's body suddenly glowed, and he transformed into a human.

The young man that stood before them bounced on the balls of his feet, smiling from ear to ear. He wore a denim jacket over a decidedly gothic t-shirt and blue jeans. His hair was dark brown, falling across his forehead in messy clumps. Red-rimmed glasses sat over his eyes, small beaded chains hanging down from them.

"You!" Ebone exclaimed, pointing at Aunora. "You're a demon! I'm a demon! Let's be friends!" He pounced at her, holding out his arms in preparation for a hug.

Aunora swiftly kneed him in the groin, the demon wolf's legs immediately caving. Ebone clutched the area between his thighs, his eyes filling with tears.

"Aunora, you can't just kick people! It's wrong!" Esper cried, tugging at the frowning demon horse's arm.

"Infinity!" Ebone whimpered, turning back to the man behind the desk. "The demon lady hit me!"

Victor turned his attention back to Infinity. It was apparent the man was a psychic, as he had several stacks of paper suspended in mid-air. Infinity glanced up, giving the group (including Ebone) a glowering stare akin to that of a frustrated parent.

"It's not very intelligent to harass the guildleader's companion." Infinity murmured quietly, furrowing his eyebrows.

"G-Guildleader?!" Umbra gasped, his eyes going wide.

"Yes, guildleader." Infinity said bluntly, plucking several pieces of paper from a nearby levitating stack. "You're already not making a good impression, so please settle down and fill out these papers so you can properly minted into my guild." Using his telekinesis, Infinity held out the forms, Umbra hastily grabbing them. "Here, take a pen. Make sure every blank is filled with the corresponding information."

Trying to vanquish the shameful blush that had gathered on his cheeks, Umbra snatched the pen from the air and started writing.

Author's Note- Ebone is a more masculine form of Ebony.

Well, now that the 'beginning' is over, let's start some plot...are you ready?

(Ps- I was given Strahberri's blessing to use her OC.)