"I remember the feeling." Marcus assured him. "I too, was once called to serve the Light as a Primordial."

     "Wait, you too?"

     "A time ago, yes."

     "Where is your mark?" Avos waited a moment for the Chancellor to respond. He didn't say anything to Avos, he just simply lifted his sleeve to show him. In the exact same spot and shape as Avos, there was a Water Element mark.

     "How? I mean... why do you need me then, if you are the Water Primordial?"

     "The Rain Maker," he corrected.  "And because I'm no longer a Primordial. That responsibility left me many years ago, long after the Shattering, when I was appointed Chancellor."

     "The Shattering? But Chancellor Thane, that was over 500 years ago. How old are you?"    

     Marcus chuckled. "Well, I stopped keeping exact count long ago. The years simply no longer had significance to my work."

      "As Chancellor?"

         "Well yes that, but waiting for you was always my primary concern. And Avos, please, if you would start addressing me as your Uncle, it will be better if when we reach Bolster it comes to you naturally, for your own safety."

         "Sure, ok.  Uncle Marcus?"

         "Yes that will do."

         "No I, I was just wondering what it was like. To be a Primordial?"

         "Now that, well, that is something you should always keep hidden. No one should know who you are, what you can do. Least of all it could cause a panic. Rumours would spread, townsfolk become anxious and unsettled. No, that is something not to boast about. On the other hand, to be a Primordial? Well, I would think it's different for everyone."

        Marcus continued long into the night about what it was like for him to be a Primordial. The struggle, the fear of facing the Great Dark. Getting to know the other Primordials, making relationships, breaking relationships. He spoke of the Shattering and how those who survived had to part ways. He knew of only one other living ancient, though possibly there were one or two more still alive. He didn't think they were anywhere on Valterra, maybe across the ocean, in the lands of the Sun, or hidden away with Valterra's ancient elves.

         The mention of elves peaked Avos' curiosity. He knew many Elven fairytales, but he really hadn't thought they were real. Like dragons, he always figured they were only stories, told to mesmerize the children by the fire, to spark imagination or fear. Now he wondered what else of legend would become a reality.

        He dozed off next to his uncle under the stars, questions rolling around in his thoughts. Why me? Why now?

         Morning happened upon them too soon. They were quickly back on their horses, shaking off the remainders of sleep and ready to travel again for a full days ride. They ate cheese and bread while they rode. They meandered through the Glens of Moros, a vast meadow of violet thistle, a sight Avos would never forget.

         Up and down they rode, hour after hour, violet hill after violet hill. By midday they entered a more cultivated area of land. Small homesteads lay scattered across the countryside. He could see lochs in the distance, and hints of karst and caves protruded from the grassy hillsides. They continued on all afternoon and after supper, following no path. Avos felt at ease now with Marcus and trusted his sense of direction. He was able to relax and take in the beauty of his surroundings. He felt inspired to protect it and to love it like his own home.