Chapter 24

CHAPTER 24

Stefan caught up to his soldiers as they reached the hilltop overlooking the plains where the Erastonian army massed. Armor clinked and leather creaked as men saluted, their gazes following his path between their ranks. He tugged on his reins, bringing the dartan to a sharp halt ahead of the rest of the army and next to Knight General Kasimir.

“Sir.” Kasimir gave a slight dip of his head. “Did he—”

“He’s gone.” Stefan sighed, fighting against the heaviness in his heart. They’d both lost a friend. “He’s been dead ever since the massacre in Everland.”

Expression grim and eyes watery, Kasimir nodded.

“Cavalry ready?” Stefan asked. He would show no more remorse in what he’d been forced to do. Those creatures were no longer his men.

“As ready as they’ll ever be.” Kasimir rapped a gauntleted fist on his dartan’s shell.

“Good.”

Several thousand feet and a few low hills ahead of the main force, the Erastonian cohort that had broken off stood in a motionless black snake of leather–armored men. The drums and horns stopped.

“You think they’ll parley?”

Stefan grunted. “Their commander agreed to this. His example of good faith was the information on Garrick or rather, the shadelings that replaced Garrick and the others.”

“Do you trust him? He might have told you anything to escape death.”

“He didn’t lie about Garrick, did he?”

“He wasn’t doing us any favors,” Kasimir said. “With the shadelings dead, their army won’t have to face them in addition to us. Worse, by watching our skirmish, he no doubt realizes how many Matii we possess. We—”

“I made an agreement with the man.”

“I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but maybe we should have waited on killing the shadelings. Combined with our Ashishin—”

“No matter how dire things appear, I won’t turn to the shade for help, Kasimir. The shade is to be destroyed, period.”

Kasimir hesitated for a moment. “But we could have turned on the shadelings afterward. I mean, we’re using Ashishin and Harnan now. Think of it the same way. The creatures would be another tool for us to use and discard. If what Guban said is true, and the King’s with them, we could end this war or at least change the outcome.”

Stefan allowed the Knight General’s words to wash over him, resisting the urge to give in to his anger. “I’m not Nerian,” he said softly.”I won’t throw away my honor or turn to the shade. You don’t see the bigger picture, Kasimir. Who knows what adjustments they made to our small victory, but seeing the dartans will give them pause. Doubt is what we need.”

“More reason to use every advantage,” Kasimir implored, his dark skin shiny with the sheen of sweat.

Jaw grinding, Stefan glared at Kasimir until the Knight General averted his eyes.

“Fine. I understand not using the shadelings, but falling to the Erastonian horde may be just as bad. Towns littered with dead and slavery or worse for those they don’t kill.”

“At this point, I would take slavery.” Stefan grimaced. “Kas, I need them to listen and come to an agreement. They have as much at stake as we do, because there’s no bargaining with the shade. Our object here is to save as many Setian as possible. Remember that. People are going to die, lose their souls, a great many of them, if Nerian isn’t stopped.”