Banners depicting a mountain range ruffled in a breeze that did little to alleviate the day’s humidity or the smell. The flags dotted the sprawling encampment. Tall, gangly soldiers dressed in leather and cloth armor blanketed the undulating hilltops. Each wielded a long–hafted greataxe. Between their hair color, which ranged from sandy brown to russet, their size, and their mahogany skin tones, the men could have been chopped from the same tree. The last time Stefan had seen this many Harnan Stoneguards was in his campaign against them.

One more battle standard stood out in the midst of the Harnan Stonewall banners: the Tribunal’s Lightstorm. Three people, a female and two males, strode forward, separating themselves from the army. Stefan expected Elder Hurst and High Shin Clarice, but the last man was a surprise. Pathfinder Kaden’s armor and deadly stride were unmistakable.

Stefan raised his hand as he slowed to a walk a few hundred feet from the army. Spreading to his sides and behind him, his cavalry followed his lead. “Stay a few steps behind, and no one speaks but me,” he said. Without waiting for the reply, he set off at a trot toward the Harnan and the High Shin.

“Hail Elder Hurst and High Shin Clarice, Pathfinder Kaden,’ Stefan called as he drew rein in front of them.

They acknowledged him with a slight tilt of their heads. Elder Hurst’s gaze roved over Stefan’s mount then shifted behind the Knight Commander. The Harnan’s graying brows rose, and he gave an appreciative nod. High Shin Clarice’s mouth hung open. After a moment, she snapped it shut. Kaden gave Stefan a respectful bow. The Knight Commander suppressed the urge to smile.

“How close is the Erastonian force?” Stefan asked.

“In a few moments, they will be topping the rise on the other side of the plains below,” answered Elder Hurst as he turned and pointed up the hill past his army.

“And the Svenzar?”

A pained expression overcame Elder Hurst. “They will not come. They said you refused their offer once and made an enemy of them. You must prove yourself now.”

“Fair enough.” Stefan expected as much.

“A–Are you certain this will work?” High Shin Clarice still seemed distracted by the dartans.

Stefan kept his face expressionless, but smiled inwardly at her obvious nervousness concerning what he required of her and the other Ashishin. “When it does, will I have both your aid?”

“You have my word,” Elder Hurst said without hesitation.

The High Shin eyes widened at the quick response, but she quickly masked her reaction and said, “And mine.”

“Have your men make way,” Stefan ordered. He snapped his reins and headed toward the hill’s crest.

 ******

Crows and ravens darkened the sky, their caws masked by the thunder of boots and the blaring of war horns. A wave of Erastonians swept down the hill several thousand feet away. Their black armored mass seeped across the fields.

Stefan knew their strategy. First came the rush of light–armored infantry with greatswords and spears, protected by whatever Forging their Matii employed. Several other waves would follow, including the plate wearing troops, the cavalry, and the Forgers themselves.

Compared to the other armies he’d faced, this one was smaller, numbering maybe fifteen thousand. His men had already confirmed the information he pried from the Erastonian scout. The commander who led this force not only spoke Ostanian but was also said to be the greatest Erastonian war leader. Stefan had seen enough recounts of the man’s exploits to believe in his skill. This battle needed to end swiftly.