2

Dedicated to SecretKeeperMD, thank you for supporting me since the very, very beginning! You go, girl!

On first instinct, my head snaps back violently, and I let out a guttural scream. Electric currents are flowing through my body, tingling nerve ends, making my blood boil, my skin crawl. The pain seems to last forever as my eyes are squeezed shut. Then, finally, the pain starts to subside, and I open my eyes slightly, my eyes taking in the night sky above me as if it were the first time, my breath coming out in loud pants.

All energy I had left drains out of my body and I collapse against the Watch-keeper, who was supporting me so I didn't do a belly flop onto the ground. He releases my arms from his steady grip, but doesn't let me go, which I savor.

Then it dawns on me who he is, and what he supports. Wariness complements my movements and I pull away from him roughly, ignoring the disequilibrium that surfaces when I don't have anything to cling to anymore. My desperate attempt has little to no success. Promptly, the world tilts, and I sink to the ground, feel myself falling. Thereupon, I am caught and scooped up by two sturdy arms, bridal style.

It's him. The same Watch-keeper.

I look up at his helm, and see a replica of my face in it, as he watches me from behind the darkened glass. I see the exhaust taking over my features, and eventually I close my eyes, giving up the fight.

For now.

*

I open my eyes to a ceiling that's higher than my own. I turn my head left and right, panic rising in my chest, as I don't recognize my surroundings.

White, white, white. Everything's white.

And it's completely silent in here. That's not how I wake up at home, with two young siblings.

I sit up, throwing the bedspread off of me as if it has a contagious disease. I leap out of the foreign bed, almost knocking over the standing lamp next to it.

What happened? Where am I?

It hits me like a bullet to my chest. I abruptly remember the Watch-keepers, the confrontation and the electric shock I received.

This must be a hospital, then.

I was taken here after I got shot, to rest.

That must be it.

Right?

I make a 180, surveying the room. And that's when I notice the mirror. It's huge, taking up almost an entire wall. I don't know how I could've missed it before. I narrow my eyes at it suspiciously. Why would there be a huge mirror in a hospital room? I take a look at the interior again.

One single bed, one standing lamp, a bedside table, and the enormous, unfitting, rectangular mirror.

I tilt my head to the right, looking in the mirror questionably. Something isn't right about this.

Then reality stuns me. The anxiety that was merely lurking before is now consuming me as a whole. I pad over to the door on my bare feet, angst building up inside me with every step I take.

I grab hold of the cold brass handle to the door, turn it, and pull, but nothing happens. I turn the knob again and push, instead.

The door doesn't budge.

Trepidation comprises me. I tug at the door until my hands feel sore, desperately willing it to open, but nothing happens.

Reality comes crashing down.