11

In case some of you still don't know what PTSD is, it's short for post-trauatic stress disorder. Here's the exact definition: Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that's triggered by a terrifying event - either experiencing it or witnessing it. Symptoms may include flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety, as well as uncontrollable thoughts about the event.

Dennise doesn't visit Alyssa as much as she used to.

She still goes whenever she is needed, but other than that she doesn't bother to go in even if sobrang tempted na siya. She can't afford to have another outburst like she had last week. Plus, Ly's parents were visiting for a few days and she   feels like she isn't welcome in the family anymore, so lumayo muna siya.

The only eventful thing that happened to her this week was that she got to meet the team again, which wasn't as hearwarming as she thought it would be.

It happened like this, Dennise was monitoring other patients around the building when she bumped into someone when she turned a corner, she was suprised however, to see that it was Jia, the girl was so suprised that she fell backwards again towards Mitch, who, spills her grape flavored juice all over Ella's white shirt. Long story short, Den felt like she made her beshfriend angrier at her than she originally was.

Once Jia had recovered from the shock, Den expected her to atleast hug her. After all, they were teammates even before they went to Ateneo, and she had missed the younger one as well, but instead, Jia only asked how she was doing and congratulated her on being an intern. Den had expected a tear-jerking reunion, but all she got was a cold one.

Mitch, like Jia, simply waved at her. When Den asks Ella what the team was doing here, she simply says that they were visiting Alyssa for a few weeks.  Mitch whispered in Jia's ear, she nods and asks for Den's number. Dennise was a little bit suspicious on the way they were behaving but she let's it slide. She knows na hindi maiwasan ang awkward moments since it's been so long since the last time they talked.

Den was still thinking about the odd reunion when she spots Jeff walking in her direction dragging along a wheelchair. She checks her watch and realizes that Ly's therapy session was coming up.

She stops in her tracks. She and Jeff had talked about PTSD and now she was starting to believe it. Alyssa was talking like a zombie last week, and as much as she disliked him, she had to admit that maybe he was right.

So, instead of taking her normal route, she decides to change her schedule for the day.

"Jeff!" She says as she jogs near Jeff. The boy was shocked to see her since inakala niya na hindi papayag si Dennise sa proposal niya.

"So I take it that you agree with me?"

"kilala ko si Ly, she's always been happy-go-lucky, but the person I've been seeing these past few weeks is different. Sobrang different. "

Jeff puts his hand on Den's shoulder reassuringly. "With your help I'm sure she'll get past this. "

Den looks at him unsurely.

"Can I.. Can I come with you for today's session? I know na i'm not supposed to but-"

"of course, I'll need extra help rin naman since Ella called and told me she couldn't come today."

The pair walk back to Alyssa's room. Once they were outside, Den takes a deep breath before walking in.

Alyssa was laying down on her bed, facing the opposite side. Jeff taps her on the shoulder, Alyssa groans before looking over her shoulder.

"shit naman oh, you're early."

She looks behind Jeff and her eyes widen when she spots Den.  Although she was shocked, Alyssa looks away like she wasn't there.

Dennise watches from the side as Jeff places her on the wheelchair. Her heart sinks as she sees how helpless Ly looked as he carried her in his arms. Her long legs dangling from Jeff's hands reminded Den of how she coudn't walk anymore, and the thought was still somewhat hard to believe.

They walk  to the rehabilitation center and the silence is deafening. The only sound you could hear from the three of them was the sound of Alyssa's wheelchair against the floor. Dennise looks at her and could see how anxious she was getting. Alyssa was biting the inside of her cheek (something she did when she used to be nervous before a crucial game.) Den looks down at her hands and she could see that they were gripping the handles of the chair tightly, the rubber protection of the railings was no match for Ly's sharp fingernails.

"She probably was used to Ella holding her hand" Den thinks, so she does the only thing she could think of to help. Quietly, Den slips her hand into Alyssa's, entertwining it with her own. At first Ly was hesitant, but, without looking at Den, she slowly presses their hands together. No one said a word, even Jeff who was looking at the two like they were part of a korean telenovela.

The rest of the night goes exactly like it  was supposed to. Dennise escorts them back to her room, Jeff excuses himself to go, but not before winking at Den, causing the girl to roll her eyes at him.

They were alone now, Alyssa was waiting for her to say something but she couldn't think of a single word to say, funny how that happens to people who used to be so close.

"Thanks." She finally utters.

"For?" Den asks, although alam na niya why.

"Basta. Thanks." And with that, Alyssa lays down and looks at the opposite side like she did nung pumasok sila kanina. Den couldn't help the smile on her face, that was enough for  her. Alyssa thanking her was an improvement in their relationship. Maybe, just maybe, they could go back to being friends.

Something vibrates in her pocket and den leaves the room before answering.

"Hello?"

"Dennise! Si Doctor Martinez nga pala to."

"Yes doc, hello po."

"I'm sorry i wasn't able to come with you when you did your rounds. May hinahanda kasi kaming operation eh, my schedule is super tight. "

"okay lang po Doc, I can manage pa naman."

"That's good, siya nga pala, you know Valdez right?"

Den doesn't know why but she suddenly gets protective at the mention of Alyssa.

"Yes po. Bakit po doc?"

"Remember the surgery I was talking about? it's for her. Kaya I want her monitored closely from now on. One week nalang and I really need reports on her vital signs, kaya mo ba yun?"

"o-opo doc. "

"Good. Goodnight Ms. Lazaro."

"Good night rin po."

Dennise walks away looking disturbed, she didn't notice the fact that there were three ex-volleyball players hiding behind a pot.

"i don't know about you, pero I think it's time to put the plan in motion Ate ella." Jia says, speaking low as to not let anyone else hear about it.

"Operation get-den-to-spill-whatever-she's-hiding is now in motion guys."

naman good thing i was able to think of something to write or else i'd end up never updating this story.  Also, I have a book about alyden oneshots and I frequently update that a lot so go give it a read.

sa lahat ng bumabasa ng author's notes you guys rock. If you're reading this comment 'chicken' down below.