The rule of three

Start from the beginning

Everyone looks happy, but there's something in the air that Stiles can't quite place, like almost every single one of them is anxious about something. Weird.

John and Melissa sit on opposite ends of the large table, Stiles at his father's right. Lydia sits beside him, beaming like the goddess that she is. Stiles can honestly say he falls in love with her more every time he looks at her. He should never stop looking. Natalie is sitting between Lydia and Melissa. Across from her and at Melissa's right is Scott, with Kira beside him, and in between the kitsune and the Sheriff is Chris Argent, back in town for two years already and dating Natalie for one and a half. This has been the Stilinskis table ever since.

Their dinner has been over for a while and Stiles can tell that Lydia is still hungry. She hasn't stopped eyeing a chocolate cake that her mom brought for the evening but she doesn't want to say anything not to raise suspicions before they tell everyone. Kira has been babbling for almost twenty minutes about her trip with Scott to New York to visit her parents and Lydia figures it would be rude to interrupt just because she feels famished, even if she ate almost exactly the same amount of food Stiles did. Which was a lot.

But Stiles knows and so he thinks to himself that maybe the right time to tell everyone is when Kira finally stops talking, both because his wife seems like she's gonna start drooling at any given time – if anything for the way she's looking at the cake, like she might just divorce him to marry it - and also because he needs to let it out. He just needs to let everyone know that's he's gonna be a father and that's he's married to the most amazing woman in the world and he just loves her so, so...

Lydia interrupts his inner monologue, leaning in to whisper in his ear. "Are you ready?"

Stiles notices that the others are wrapping up that conversation and he swallows thickly. Lydia squeezes his hand in reassurance and he does the same. "Yeah. Lets do this." He pecks her lips and smiles, reaching for his glass of orange juice – he's being solidary with her – and taking a sip before clearing his throat and raising his tone just a little bit. "Can we have your attention? We have some news we'd like to share with you."

Natalie grins immediately and turns to Lydia, placing a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Oh, honey. Did you get the funds for the research?"

Lydia shakes her head, pursing her lips in a smile. "No, it's not about work. Hmm... It's something else." She turns around on her chair to face Stiles, but before she can say anything else they both notice how uneasy both his father and Melissa look and how blushing Scott and Kira suddenly become.

Looking at all of them in confusion, both Stiles and Lydia frown. "What?" Stiles asks, suspicious.

His father dismisses it immediately, looking far too relieved about something. "It's nothing. I mean..." he corrects quickly, noticing the glare Melissa sends him. "We have something to tell you too, but you can go first."

Stiles and Lydia exchange a look that clearly says Something's going on there but he brushes it off. Lydia's excitement is growing on him. He doesn't understand how the others didn't notice yet how much she's glowing. "Okay, so we know that it might be a little too soon but..." He glances at Lydia, almost literally dying on the spot by how enamored he is of her and he just loves her so much and the bab-

Lydia, noticing him daydreaming again, continues. "What Stiles is trying to say is that we are aware that we moved to San Francisco not that long ago and we've been married for only three months but-"

"Lydia's pregnant," he states bluntly, beaming exactly the way he did when they'd found out a month ago. Lydia kisses him right then, grinning too with tears in her eyes.