Jonathan

There is a warm sensation on my neck, and then I lose consciousness. I feel a searing pain in my wrists, and I bite my tongue. I move my wrists around, looking down.

I'm in a chair, and my hands are tied behind me. My legs are tied up, too. I look up. I'm in a white room, and there is a large square of glass.
'Probably one-way glass.' I think to myself as I pull at whatever has my hands tied together. But they don't come loose. In fact, I'm pretty sure my wrists are cut up and red right now.

"Clarissa." The voice startles me. It responds throughout the room, bouncing off the walls. I can hear it echoing in my mind. I try to remember this voice. But of course, how could I forget it? It's Valentine.

I don't show the fear that is inside me on my face. Instead, I maintain a straight one and I hold my head up high. I look into the glass, "Valentine." I respond.

"So, I heard that you have been becoming stronger." He says, "Of course, not as powerful as me-"

"Then why don't you come out and stand in front of me rather then standing behind glass?" I look up slightly, where his head would be.

"Sebastian wants to see you first." He says, and I hear a chuckle.

My gaze shifts to the right as a door opens. He stands in the doorway, a grin on his face. His hair is a pale white, nearly matching the walls of the small room.

"Hello sister." He says. I look to his hand and see a stele. My gaze shifts back up to him. My emotions are slipping through the cracks and my fear is shown slightly on my face.

He walks towards me and I feel a warm sensation on my neck. I cringe away from it, but being tied up limits my movement immensely, "What are you doing?" I ask, my voice frantic and my eyes wide.

"Just be quiet." He murmurs in my ear.

"No. Everything you did was a lie." My eyes are glassy, but I blink the tears away, "You lied to me."

"I didn't lie to you, Clary." He says, his voice low.

"Yes you did." My voice rises.

"Shut up." He says quietly, "I'm trying to help you. Stay here, and keep quiet. I'll let you out later."

"You are lying." I respond incredulously.

"Does it look like I'm lying?" He turns the chair around and holds my shoulders. I look into his eyes.

"They..." My eyes widen even more. I feel something rocket through my body—surprise, "They are Green."

"I need you to keep quiet." He says, and when he blinks his eyes change to black.

"I'll see you tonight." I whisper.

"Bye." He turns around and walks to the door, stele clutched tightly in his hand he makes his way out of the room and I hear Valentine's voice again.

"It's always nice to see your brother, right?" He inquires I turn slightly to face the glass.

"So, how do you plan on killing me?" I ask with some more confidence in my voice. It might be wrong of me to trust Sebastian, but with being tied up it seems that it's the only choice I have.

"Kill you?" He sounds confused, "I would never..."

"Yes you would." I respond in a bitter tone.

"I actually was planning on letting you out in a few days." He tells me.

"Before or after I die of dehydration?" I ask.

"We have no intention of killing you." He sounds as if he is rolling his eyes.

"I find that hard to believe, Valentine." I tell him.

"You can call me father." He responds.

"You can try to earn that." I say, "You missed more than sixteen years of my life. Father means a lot more to me than blood. Luke was more of a father to me than you ever were."

"Luke. Filthy downworlder." He sounds disgusted, "I would have been in your life if I could have. Your mother made that decision for the both of us."

"I'm glad you weren't." I say, looking at the glass.

"I would never try to hurt you." He tells me.

"Seriously?" I look back at my hands, "Doesn't look like that."

"You'll see." I hear his voice before the room goes silent. I look down.

Clary? I hear Sebastian's voice and I look up at the glass.

"Yes?" I say. There is no response. Then I hear it again.

Clary, I'm in your mind. Listen, we can talk through our thoughts now. His voice is smooth and quiet. It's as if he's standing in front of me speaking.

I thought you just put an iratze on me I reply. This reminds me of Simon and I feel my chest squeeze.

Look at your hand. I shift my gaze to my hand and see a golden ring glistening on my ring finger.

I didn't feel you put it on me... I bite my lip. Maybe I can trust him.

I know you didn't. I doubted that you would. His voice is still quiet.

Okay, so when can I leave this place? And are we going back to the Institute? I close my eyes to concentrate.

Valentine doesn't know where we were staying, but don't think for a second that he won't rip this world apart looking for us. He says.

We will be ready to fight him. I respond, my eyes opening.

I'll protect you all. It won't come to that. I hear his voice and then, as if he is hanging up a phone, the line goes silent.