Death

I step out of the shower, getting dressed quickly in a maroon sweatshirt and leggings. I pull my hair up into a ponytail, water droplets dripping into the floor.

I hum as I walk into the hall and towards the kitchen, stopping only when I see Noah at the table. His head is in his hands, his elbows resting on the table. I take the seat next to him and he looks up, "Hey." He greets me, and i give a small smile.

"You okay?" I ask.

"I'm fine." He watches me, "I'm just worried."

"About what?" I sit in the seat diagonal from him so that we can talk.

"About you," he tells me, "And Valentine."

"You don't have to worry about me." I respond. I know that if he were to ever be in danger, I'd worry about him. I ignore the hypocritical side of my statement, "I can protect myself."

"I know you can, Clary." His voice becomes a bit softer, "But I just don't want you to get hurt when I can't do anything about it."

"I'll be fine." I reach out to take one of his hands, "I'm more worried that I'll hurt one of you guys while I'm hurting him."

"Even if you do, it would still be worth it." He responds, looking down slightly, "I know he's your father, but he is an evil man."

"He has never been a father to me." I tell him quickly, "And he will never get the chance to be."

Noah looks up, making eye contact with me. He goes silent for a few moments before he speaks, "I love you, Clary." He says.

"I love you too." I tell him, and he takes my hands into his from across the table.

And suddenly, the silence is disrupted by a crashing sound. I jump, but Noah remains still. My gaze shifts to the open kitchen door, and I can feel my stomach twist as I think of who it could be.

"Stay here." I say, my voice quiet. I let go of his hands and stand up. How ironic... the girl telling the guy to stay where he is before going to investigate a loud sound.

"Clary, no." He responds, standing up from the table and walking around it to reach for me.

"Noah, please." I plead with him, and his eyes look into mine, and I can see for the first time that he's scared. I examine his features as if it's the first time that I'm seeing him, because I know very well it could be the last. His beautiful eyes, that I've seen shift into a brilliant gold. His hair, tousled from the amount of times he's raked his hand through it. His facial structure, his jaw line, the way his lips curl upwards slightly at the edges without him even smiling. He's beautiful, and he's mine.

I don't have much longer to stare before another crash is heard, followed by a scream. I take one more brief look at him before I'm off, sprinting from the kitchen to find the source of the sound. I can feel runes burn themselves onto my skin as I think of them.

I stop in front of Chase's door, hearing a good amount of shuffling behind it. I pray that this is the room, and Chase isn't just... busy inside of it, and I kick the door right by the handle to get it open.

It groans in protest, but I kick it again and it swings open. I see Valentine, my gaze fixing on him. He's holding Jace against the wall, a knife to his throat. I can hear someone suck in a breath beside me, and I turn to see Noah, "Get out of here." I whisper, turning my attention back to Valentine.

"Ah, just in time." He turns his gaze, the knife still held to Chase's throat.

"Valentine." I hiss, and I can see a grin spread across his face.

"I prefer father, actually," he responds. I see Chase looking at me, somehow staying calm.

"You aren't my father." I tell him, and he tuts. I can see the knife moving closer to Chase's throat, a drop of crimson blood splashing down his neck, "Let him go. This is between you and I, not him."

His gaze shifts back to Chase and he makes a sound of annoyance, "I suppose you're right. Collateral would've only gotten me so far. Plus, I only intended to see you today." He takes the knife away, pushing Chase and sending him towards Noah who is beside me, "So, this must be the boyfriend?" Valentine takes a step towards us.

"Get away from her," I head a deep voice beside me and I turn to see Sebastian. I suddenly feel a little safer than before.

"Ah, my dear children..." Valentine looks at both of us, a tinge of sadness in his expression, "Getting along at last."

"We aren't your anything," Sebastian retorts. I can see a hint of surprise on Valentine's face, but his expression immediately smooths over.

"And here I thought, you were on my side." He gives a smile, "Maybe even the children you do raise, sometimes turn against you."

"You call injecting me with demon blood raisin me?" Sebastian scoffs, and Valentine rolls his eyes.

"I came for Clary." Valentine states, his eyes now trained on me. I feel an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach, but I keep my head held high.

"You aren't going to get her." Noah speaks up, but I ignore him.

"Everyone, out." I say firmly to everyone behind me.

"Clary-" Sebastian starts, but I shake my head, and he pauses for a moment. He looks confused at first before he seems to understand. He takes the other two boys by the arm and pulls them into the hall. I turn my attention back to Valentine; we're alone.

"That seemed easy enough," his voice sends chills down my spine, and I shift my weight to my other foot as the uneasy feeling increases.

I don't respond, and he seems to take notice. I'm preparing myself, and I'm planning everything one millisecond at a time. I pray that the boys are out of reach, and I take a deep breath, "Clary-" he takes a step towards me, and that's all it takes.

My shriek pierces the otherwise silent air, and I watch as he staggers backward, a look of sheer bewilderment on his face.

I can feel the vibrations of my scream, the Institute shaking around us. I hear Chase's belongings rattling on the shelves, falling to the floor. I put my hands up, directing my scream as I was told before. It's a weapon, my weapon.

I make a pushing motion, and Valentine is flown backwards, hitting the wall behind him with a deafening crunch. His body is limp, only being held up by my force. I release him from it, my scream cut short.

He falls to the ground, his body just a pile of limbs almost. Everything around us goes just as still as he is. He's laying at an unnatural angle, and I'm too afraid to look. He's surely dead.

I hold my breath, tearing my gaze from him. I turn towards the doorway, listening for any sounds outside of the room. Fear explodes through my chest, reaching every inch of my body in a matter of seconds, "N-Noah?" I muster up the courage to say, breaking the silence.

I stumble out into the hall, seeing no one around, "Sebastian?" I cry, making my way to the main hall. I feel as if everything's moving in slow motion, tears splashing down my cheeks as I think about what I've done. I feel helpless, unable to find any of them.

I killed them. It's all my fault.
-
xoxo