Chapter Five: Finals

"You're gonna do okay," you assure Tadashi one last time as he walks hand in hand with you down the hallway.

He takes a deep breath and glances nervously at the science room door. "I don't know."

"Look at me," you say seriously. He obeys. "You are the most brilliant guy in this entire school. You'll do great. Take a deep breath and just focus. Promise me that you'll calm down?"

Tadashi nods, "Cross my heart," he promises as he traces the 'x' on his heart. You repeat his action. Tadashi smiles. "I love you."

"I love you," you reply, reaching up to kiss his cheek. He smiles when your lips touch his skin. You squeeze his fingers. "I'll meet you by your locker after the final." He nods. You release him and walk towards your first class.

After two hours of an English final, you make your way down the hall. Hiro catches up with you. "Hey, ___."

"Hey," you say, shifting your books in your arms, "How was your final?"

"Easy, of course. Did you forget who you're talking to? Hello, I'm Hiro Hamada, thirteen year old senior, smartest kid in the history of the world."

"Right," you say sarcastically. "How silly of me to even ask."

Hiro laughs. "What final did you just take?"

"English," you answer. "It wasn't too bad."

"How do you think Tadashi did?" Hiro asks.

You look up. He's behind his locker door, reading the study guides. "Guess we'll find out." He shuts his locker door and you notice his sad eyes. "Uh-oh." You give Hiro a nervous look. He does the same and pats your shoulder.

"I'll leave you to deal with crying Tadashi. Catch you later, ___."

You roll your eyes and step up to his locker. He frowns at you. You take his hand. "Oh, sweetie, I'm sorry," you say.

"Well, you shouldn't be," he says.

"Wait, what?"

"I did great!" he exclaims excitedly. You smile at his grinning face. "I knew everything!"

"Yay! I told you that you would do awesome!" You grab his face and his his lips quickly. "I'm so proud of you!"

Tadashi smiles and strokes your cheek, "Oh, how did you exam go?"

"Great," you say.

"I'm glad to hear it," he says, switching out his textbooks. "Are you coming over after school?"

"Sure, if you want me to," you reply with a shrug.

"I always want you to," he says, swiftly kissing your cheek. "If it were up to me, you'd be over every single day."

You smile. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he replies.

Later that night, you're sitting on Tadashi's bed. He's sitting next to you with a textbook on his lap. While he studies, you trace circles on the top of his hand and look around the room. Something catches your eye. The green journal from years ago.

You stand up and walk to the shelf that holds it. Tadashi looks up at you. "What are you doing?"

You pull the dusty journal our from between two encyclopedias and hold it in your hands. "It's been a while since we've gone through this," you comment.

"Only about four years or so," Tadashi says with a smile. He moves his text book aside and reaches for you. "Come here." You take his hand and walk back to him. You sit in between his legs with your back against his chest. You flip through the pages. "Are you really looking through this old thing?"

"Yeah," you answer. "I love it." You land on a page and smile at the messy writing below a picture of a school.

San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, the most awesome school ever.

Below that, a picture of you, Tadashi, and Hiro.

The world's three greatest inventors!

You giggle. Tadashi laughs and rests his chin on your shoulder. "I hope I get approved," he whispers.

"You will," you assure him. You turn to the page that reads:

Stuff I'm Going To Accomplish

"What are you going to do and accomplish, Mr. Hamada?" you ask him.

Tadashi thinks for a moment. "Hm. I don't know just yet."

"That's alright," you say, "we've got loads of time."

"Yeah," Tadashi says softly. You turn to look at him. He gives you a crinkly-eyed smile and kisses you quickly. "Lots of time."