Chapter 8

Shelby's P.O.V

“Oh! Don’t forget to bring him!” Emily shouted from across the parking lot, leaning her head out of her car window. I smiled and waved goodbye, opening my car door.

“I’ll see you tonight!” Someone said, and a hand tapped my shoulder, turning around to meet the voice, my gaze met Anthony’s, he was only a few inches away.  “Yeah, I’ll see you soon!” I said back, turning my gaze from his lips to the ground. Anthony was cute, he had perfect thin lips and tan skin that made his brown eyes stand out, and his black hair hanged over his face. I suddenly realized I was checking him out, so I turned my head, trying not to look him in the eye. I fumbled my hands nervously and stared at the ground.

He smiled, “Stop taking everything so seriously, it’s not like I’m going to kiss you! You’re not that hot, and your breath reeks!” He chuckled and heat rose up to my cheeks, I realized I was blushing from the embarrassment. “Hey,” he laughed again, “I was joking, see you take things too seriously,” he pulled my chin up to make my eyes meet his, “like I said, see you tonight.” He playfully tapped my chin and pulled his hand away. I lightly punched him in the arm and turned away to the car.

When I got home, Carey rushed into the house before me and I slowly trailed behind. When I walked into the house, I set my backpack down and plopped, face down onto the couch.

“So how was your day?” My head snapped up and Jake walked around the corner with an apple in one hand and his phone in the other. “Good, I guess, my friends want to go out bowling tonight.” I said not mentioning his name in any part of it. He nodded and I stuffed my head into a pillow.

A car with loud music pulled up next door; I jumped from the couch and made my way outside to greet Mrs. Simons. She got out of her small, pink HHR and smiled when she saw my face. “Hello, dear!” She walked over; she has a small figure and long blonde hair that covered her shoulders, her bright blue eyes radiated in the sun.

“Hi, Mrs. Simons, could you do me a favor and watch Carey tonight? I’ll have to drop her off at about 6 o’clock.”

“Of course! It’d be my pleasure! What time might you be home?” Her southern accent made every word seem sweet and filled with joy! “Um, maybe around 9:00, I’ll call you on my way home! My friends and I are going bowling tonight and I don’t want Carey up too late.” She nodded in agreement and we quickly exchanged phone numbers.

“Alright, see you tonight sweetie!” She said with a bright smile and walked away. The dress she wore glided above the grass and the crisp breeze swayed the flowery outfit. I watched as her husband happily greeted her at the door. Thinking of my mom brought tears to my eyes, I wiped my damp face. Not having her here is different, but I need to get my mind off some things and she should be home soon. I turned around and my phone suddenly buzzed, it was Emily:

Her: Hey if you want me to, I’ll come by and pick you up at 6:10 :)

Me: Sure, thanks :)

I closed the phone and looked at the time: 4:45, I quickly ran inside, “Carey!” I shouted through the house and she appeared in the matter of seconds, “You’re going to hang out with Mrs. Simons for a while tonight, brush your hair!” She smiled and skipped away to her room. I walked over to the dining room table and pushed in the chairs that were spread out. Jake appeared in the doorway. “Oh, yeah, I forgot, my friends wanted you to come tonight also!” A look of surprise overcame his face, “How do they know who I am?”

“I kind of said something about you today,” I said embarrassed and even blushing a little. “Nah, I’ll pass, I barely know you guys anyway.” He smirked and I looked dumbfounded at him, “Well, let me remind you, you have been staying at our house for over two nights already, it wouldn’t hurt for you to go out and make some friends!” I suddenly realized I sounded a lot more like my mom than I did myself, “I’m sorry, I-I, don’t know where that came from.” My voice shook nervously.

“That’s ok, and you’re right – I guess I’ll go,” Both of us flashed a quick smile and I headed for my bedroom. Closing the door behind me, I walked over to my closet and threw on a hangover, colorful shirt with a big owl plastered across it. Slim, dark jeans were my usual, so I threw on those as well and stuck bobby pins and a hair tie, fixing my hair into a giant, plump bun. I carefully did my mascara and walked out my bedroom door.

I looked at my iPhone, it read 5:30, I closed it up and hastily walked to my kitchen. Throwing mac-n-cheese in a bowl, I turned on the stove and made my way to Carey’s room. As I walked down the small, narrow hallway of our house, my shoulder hit a sharp edge. Out of the corner of my eye, I see something fall; I quickly react and turn around, grabbing a priceless picture that could have been destroyed in a matter of seconds. I bring the picture up towards my face to examine the photo of my father and I when I was very little. I smiled causing my little dimples to show, I set the picture back up on the wall neatly and walked into my sister’s room. “Come on bub, you ready yet?” I said cheerfully.

“Almost!” Her little voice came out in a pip-squeaked whisper and could only be heard past the doorway. 

“Alright, I’m making mac-n-cheese, hurry up!” I said, and walked over to her to tie her shoes. I slowly helped her tie them and she observed what I was doing, “…make a little loop and wrap the lace around, tuck it in, then pull the bow...”  When I finished, I stood up and kissed the temple of her forehead and walked back to the kitchen.

“Jake! You ready?” I yelled, grabbing the pot and taking it off the stove, Jake appeared quietly in the doorway, with a black tank and sandy colored shorts, his brown hair was combed to the side and loosely hung over his face. “Like the view?” He said smirking, I threw a rag at him, “Don’t get too full of yourself,” I cold faced him and quickly stirred the food. Suddenly the clock made a noise signaling 6 o’clock and I threw the food into a bowl, and handed it to Carey when she walked into the room. When she finished, I walked her out the house and dropped her off at Mrs. Simons, “Thanks again,” I quickly added and ran back to our house. “Shelby!” Someone said, I turned around, Emily was here and Jake and I walked to the car. We plopped down in the back of Emily’s red convertible. “Reb will be late, she has something to take care of; move over Anthony!” My head suddenly snapped open, I mentally slapped myself in the face, all three of us were sitting in the back seat. Jake was on my left and Anthony was on my right; and I was in the middle. I introduce Jake to Emily and Casey. Anthony ended up introducing himself, “Hey man, what’s up? I’m Anthony,” he reached over me to shake his hand and gave a half smile. Jake returned the smile and shook his hand. Emily hit the gas pedal and we were off, I rubbed my eyes slowly.

Oh, my gosh, what did I get myself into?

Hia everyone, hope you liked it! :D Please give me some ideas on what I should have between Jake and Shelby :) but I won't post the next chapter until the book gets 10^ votes please :)

Camixoxoxo