Chapter 2

Shelby's P.O.V

I sat in my bedroom quietly, trying to avoid Jake. Shortly after I put my ear plugs in, I slowly fell asleep hoping to get my mind off of things.

My dreams swirled in my head while I was asleep. "Stay away. Darkness awaits. Move away, get--" I woke up with a sudden panic in my eyes. I sat up straight, looking around the room. Carey was still asleep. My body was hot and sweaty. I looked to my right: 2:26am my clock read.

As turned my head sideways, I saw a black shadow turn and walk away. In the tall grass near the barn. I quickly grabbed my jacket and hopped out the window.

The breeze was strong and the cold rain beat hard down on my face. My hair whipped around my face uncontrollably. I tightened my jacket around my body, putting my hands in my pockets. The figure turned a corner and disappeared in an instant. I looked around in disbelief and curiosity, suddenly feeling alone and scared for what might come out.

Afraid to turn my back to the field where he disappeared, I walked backwards, keeping my eye on everything. I suddenly ran into a hard,tall, still object.

"Ohh!" I gasped and ran forward, then turned around to see what I ran into.

Jake. Standing there like a dead tree. Not knowing wether to move with the wind or not. He just stood still and stared. I did the same.

"What do you think you're doing out here?" I said in a soft but questioning tone.

"One of your pigs got loose when I opened the gate to your barn." He said, looking uncertain.

Well, he's a bad liar, I would have heard that pig if it was loose.

"Sure," I said, looking into his blue eyes, he shook like a frail rabbit and looked away. "Don't think I don't remember you from last night. How did you get into my room?"

"I-I-it's complicated," he stammered. He was tall and fit. He had brown short hair and baby blue eyes. His eyes showed a kindness and honesty I haven't seen in a while. He was different just by the way he acted, he cared what others thought.

With that I quietly let him go and said ok, I walked past him with my hands tucked and folded under my jacket, trying to avoid puddles of water when ever I could. Suddenly Jake came up behind me and put his hoodie over my head. I looked up a little bit but never looked him in the eye. When I got back to my window, he took the hoodie down when I climbed in. I turned around and simply said thanks and he slightly smiled an nodded in return.

Although when I tried to sleep, I still could not dream.

************************************

The next morning, I slept in and a huge hard yet soft object hit my face.

"Let's go! You're going to be late." My mother panted.

"Church is in an hour and you're going to be late!" She continued while hitting me with her pillow.

I just moaned and let out a sigh! But stayed in bed. I looked up and saw Jake and Carey standing in my doorway all dressed up. Carey had her pink floral flower dress on. She looks so cute.

I looked at Jake and saw him dressed in a suit and tie that was once my fathers. I can't believe my mom let him wear it! The last time I saw that suit was when they renewed their vows, 6 years ago. Before my father left us, to take care of ourselves.

I loved my dad but ever since he left us, I can't even think about trusting him again. When he put on that suit and read those vows, I though it meant forever. Now he was gone and someone else was wearing it.

"What are they doing here?" I whined.

"THEY are all ready to go young lady, get your lazy butt of the bed and do the same!" She demanded.