An Invitation

"Well, well," Joker began with a chuckle. "Look who it is."

"Get outta here!" Harley snapped, standing up confidently, but shrinking back down when Batman jumped down to their level.

"Harley," Batman started in a gentle voice. "You don't have to do this."

"Do what? I'm not doing anything I don't wanna," Harley sneered, coming to stand behind the Joker. She wrapped her arms around his waist and kissed his ear. "Ain't that right, puddin'?"

She heard the smile in his voice. "That's right, dear."

Batman sighed. "I didn't come here to fight you both--"

"Then fight us one-on-one," Joker cut in sharply. "In fact, you can just fight me."

Before he could reach for his gun, though, Batman started talking quickly again, "I just came to propose something."

Harley reached for her bat, finding comfort at the taped end of it. "We don't want your proposal," she growled. "Leave before we open fire!"

"Harley," Joker chastised. "We don't wanna miss a chance to kill him. Let him continue and then we'll kill him. Think of this as last words." Harley fell silent but continued to glare at their enemy.

Batman pressed his thin lips together and stared at Harley, making her shift in anticipation. "Look, Harley Quinn, I know you think being a villain is fun. But you're causing more harm to yourself than you realize."

Harley lifted her upper lip in a snarl. "You have no idea what you're talking about, bat."

He continued as if she hadn't spoken, "So I'm inviting you to join me."

At those words, Joker and Harley simultaneously pulled their weapons out and pointed them at the bat. "Leave us," Harley said, deadly, calm, and ready to kill.

And then, in a flash of black, he disappeared.