Chapter 6 Trouble Trouble

Start from the beginning

"It's okay. I can understand your dilemma."

The brothers bid goodnight and good luck to each other.

The following morning, Shivani was grounded for a month. She could only leave the house to attend college or for wedding preparations (but a family member needed to be with her). Shravan managed to take Shivani out to meet Ahar. They needed to ask his sister about that night.

Ahar woke late that morning. The money problem dominated her mind. When she remembered the rent for this month, she sighed. This was the second time she had to ask Suman for help. Suman had a date last night, so she came in late. Ahar contemplated bothering her.

When she saw her rommate working out to "Chammak Challo (Charming Babe)," Ahar approached her.

"Suman, can I ask you for a huge favor?" Ahar asked.

Suman nodded.

"I can't pay this month's rent." Suman didn't stop her workout. She knew about Ahar's mother's health. "But I promise I'll pay all of next month's!" Suman gave Ahar a thumbs up.

"Is aunty alright?" Suman asked.

Ahar didn't say anything which was an answer enough for her friend.

Ahar cleaned up quickly and rushed to meet Shravan. Shivani was confused as to what was even going on. She had to go to college in half an hour. What could be so important that Shravan took her to a roadside full of vendors with carts of fruits and vegetables.

"We came to meet the Kurkura? " Shivani groaned.

"I'm not exactly thrilled to meet a spoiled brat either," Ahar replied.

"Good--bad morning to everyone," contributed Shravan.

"Can we just get it over with?" Ahar asked, shooting him a glare. She needed to find a way to arrange twenty five thousand more rupees. "Where did you sneak out on Thursday last week?" she asked Shivani.

Shivani frowned and looked at her brother. Shravan wanted an answer too.

"I already got in trouble," she said. "You can't--"

"Shivani, where were you last Thursday night?" Shravan asked, rubbing his temples. He was getting impatient.

"I don't know. I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast two hours ago," Shivani said.

"THEN MAKE AN EFFORT TO REMEMBER!"

For ten seconds, silence fell around them. Everyone gawked at Shravan who felt slightly embrassed for his outburst. His sister already pissed him off the previous night and now, she was only making matters worse.

A scared Shivani rejogged her memory. "Last Thursday night . . . Hmm . . . Your second day here right?" Shravan quickly nodded. "I stayed home."

"Are you sure you didn't sneak out?" Shravan inquired.

Shivani gave an innocent smile and nodded.

"Funny how the guards had the opposite answer," Ahar said. Shivani chewed on her lip nervously. Shravan crossed his arms and glared at her.

Shivani blurted out, "I'm sorry! My friends were going to the Yo Yo Honey Singh concert and I snuck out with them. Manne maaf kardo (Forgive me), please. Don't tell our parents. I swear I saw you sneak out with Sanya before me--"

"That's enough," said Shravan.

He told Shivani to head to college after asking her the location of the concert. Once she left, Ahar suggested they verify Shivani's statement. Both of them asked for a lot of directions and headed their way to the area. They stopped at a dhaba (roadside restaurant). Ahar wanted a break.