Chapter 3- Mother knows best

S t a c e y  W a l k e r

Ch a p t e r  3

I would of wanted to spend my weekend in a different way. Maybe, taking a nap after doing homework, or meet up with Susan at a pizza place. But instead, I was being rushed on a red ambulance. It was a stupid mistake really- all I did was tell mom I accidently swallowed ink. She jumped up and down, dialing the police.

"Are you alright?" A paramedic said to me, making me snap out of my thoughts.

"I'm fine." I told her, my throat hurting.

I look out of the back window. Cars were lined up behind each other, going at a slow place. Typical California rush hour. Mom should've called the ambulance on a Sunday, so the traffic could of been worse and miss a day of school.

Paramedics leaned over me, taking my heart rate, checking my temperature. I shrunk back at their touch.

" Calm down ee leetle bit young one, you look like a leetle shrink flower." One of the Paramedics, with dark olive skin said to me comfortably.

I lessened the tension on my chest. I felt good- I was under warm blanket sheets, and a warm pillow was snuggled against my head.

There was an abrupt halt of the car, and I knew we had reached the hospital. They began unstrapping me. Then, they turned a bar that was under the bed, and the head of the bed started tilting forward, then the back, and the legs. I was put in a wheelchair.

They rushed me through the hospital. It was surprising there weren't many people as I expected. Only around 15 people were waiting, reading magazines or books. I got a room quickly, with nurses and doctors already there, washing their hands.

"Patient Florence Walker here?" The head doctor asked.

The paramedics nodded, laying me on the on the bed, turning back out of the room. The doctors asked for my age, insurance company and medication information. I stared at my nails the whole time.

"Well it seems as if it's an accident." The doctor said, his eyes flickering to me.

"The ink posing is very fatal to the lungs; but since ink in a pen is very minimal, it will not cause much harm." The doctor said.

I gave a sigh of relief.

"Ink will be very fatal for her, it's a bad omen!" Mom said, a mulish look on her face.

The doctor blinked once, a laugh threatening to fall from his lips.

"Since you insist, we'll take a few X-rays to-"

"I don't want you're wicked technology in my daughters throat!" Mom interrupted.

"It's not going in the body, it's directly above her throat an-"

"The ink is a jumbi, in fluid form." Mom said, matterly.

I face palmed myself, while I noticed the doctors face getting redder.

"Well then what do you think needs to be done?" He asked mom harshly.

Mom put one hand on her large stomach, her eyes shooting to the ceiling, in deep thought. My eyes swiveled back and forth from the doctor and mom.

"All she needs is half a leg of a goat, chopped up with fresh garlic powder." Mom said.

The doctor's looked like he might of explode. He took short breathes in and out before talking.

"Alright then, all I need you to do is to sign a form saying you know all the risks by leaving." Doctor said.

Mom nodded. The doctor pulled out pink papers from his clipboard, with a purple pen. Mom signed at the allotted places.

" Alright, if any pain persists, call us at the number highlighted on the paper." The doctor said.

Mom nodded, and asked him how we would go home. He said he could call a taxi. Mom and I went outside, my head hurting numbly.

"Mom you just had to say that in front of him?" I yelled at her.

She rubbed her stomach, staring at me.

"Exactly! Why did I say it? You were supposed to!" She yelled at me.

I shook my head, tears threatening to slip out of my eyes, the gentle rain plucking my head.

"You just don't understand!" I yelled at her.

And I walked away.

*-*

"Florence, I need to tell you something important." Mom said closing the door.

I knew something was up. Mom's voice wasn't in a hippie voice, but in a smooth one.

I sat down. She sat down across from me.

"Your dad. Alec." She said in a monotone voice.

I nodded slowly. Honestly, mom's face looked scary. It was blank- not with a usual stupid smile.

"He got want he wanted from me. Then he moved on to my sister Olivia, but Olivia didn't give in." She said all in one breath.

"Why are you telling me all of this now? How come Susan never told me?"

"Susan never knew. Olivia has so much money, she can cover everything up." Mom said.

I suddenly understood why mom never liked aunt Olivia much, and a rush of affection for mom, for her telling me everything.

"I meant- why are you telling me all this about dad?" I asked.

She had a grim smile on her face, she absently rubbing her bulging stomach.

"For two reasons." She said.

"One, your dad Alec... we still are in touch." She said.

I felt a pang of betrayal. I thought she confided everything with me, because she wouldn't have anyone else to tell drunk breath secrets to.

" He sends us $150 bucks every month." She said.

It finally dawned me- the reason why we still had a roof under our heads was not because of the 3 dollar tips mom made every day, but through an unknown's father's pocket.

" What's number 2?" I asked her worriedly.

"Right." She said.

" I saw the look on you're face yesterday. You were with a slinthead." Mom said.

I froze. How would she know? My throat went dry.

"How-how do you know?" I chocked out in a whisper.

Mom threw her head back laughing.

"Because honey, I was chasing too slintheads too." She said.

My jaw dropped.

___________________________________________________________________

Ello guys :3

I actually like writing this book better than Daddy :-P

Yep that's all :P