Chapter one - Not another ordinary day

“They scream; the worst things in life come free to us.” ~Ed Sheeran.

“Wake up, sleepyhead!” Jack’s deep voice barges into my room and his annoying self.

“Go away!” I groan, burying my head deeper into the pillow, desperately wanting to get at least a minute more of sleep.

Three weeks ago, I broke my alarm mistakenly and since then Jack has taken it upon himself to be my new annoying alarm.

I wish I could break him too!

“No way, get up. Do you want to get fired from your work for going late?” He snaps, clapping his hands.

He’s right. My job is keeping this family together. You can say that since my trip to the Five-Star hotel three months ago, things haven’t been the same for both me or my family.

When I got back home that day, the three Js looked surprised to see me come home that early, though none said anything to me. They did the next day though, throwing many questions like...

“How did it go?”

“You looked worn last night. What happened?”

“Why did you come back so early?”

“Did you find us the millionaire?”

“Are you going to be married soon?”

“Are we going to be rich soon?”

“How long are you going to be married?”

In all the questions, only one made me tear up. It was when Josh and Jake asked in unison.

“Did something bad happen?”

I covered my face and shook my head, but I wasn’t kidding them.

“Did someone stop you from doing what you needed? ‘Cause when I called you yesterday, you seemed in control.”

So I told them everything. I’ve kept nothing from them and I didn’t plan on starting then.

The three, like the triplets they were, all grew red from anger at the same time. Jack was pacing. He couldn’t even sit down. He kept tugging on his hair while he ground his teeth together.

“Is he dead? Did the other man kill him?”

I told him I didn’t know, and they said he should be dead or he would die in their hands and I knew they weren’t kidding.

Josh took my hands and stare into my eyes, before saying, “You did your best.”

“How?!” I exclaimed sadly. “I left home $1500.44 and now I’m home with 44¢.” I took my purse, opens it to further explain my failure.

I opened and turned it down and instead of forty-four cents falling out; I saw dollars in my purse. We all ran towards it quickly and I picked it up and when I counted it, it was one thousand five hundred dollars.

“It’s impossible,” I told them. “I paid everything to the receptionist who gave me my room.”

They... We didn’t care how it got there. All we cared about was that we weren’t empty in our hands anymore.

The week followed. We realised that Luke Powers didn’t die that night because the ‘You & I’ host Mona Lisa interviewed him.

The Js and I all came together to further watch him speak. He seemed to recover fast from the beating, but I could still see his left cheek redder than the other. Rory didn’t kill him that night, I guess, but watching him talk on the TV made me wish he did.