Epilogue: Grand Finale

Hannah groaned, squinting at the sudden burst of light. Suddenly, a blur covered up a good half of her view and she opened her eyes a bit more. As she did, the blur came into focus. It was a person, and quite a familiar one. "J-Ja-" Hannah couldn't speak. Her throat was so dry, it hurt to even breathe.

"Hey," he spoke. Hannah noticed he was breathless as well, but in a different way. It made her wonder: how long was she asleep?

"Ho-how..." she started to croak, but decided to change her sentence. "Wat-er." Her voice kept breaking as she spoke, but she managed to get her point across. Wilson looked away for a few seconds and nodded his head toward the door. It wasn't until she heard the faint sound of footsteps leaving the room that Hannah realized someone else had be in the room. Not a moment later, the footsteps returned and someone handed her a glass of water.

By then, Hannah's eyesight had strengthened, and though everything was still a bit hazy, she was able to see who it was. She tried to speak but her voice failed her. Wilson helped sit her up enough that she could drink her water without choking. As soon as the chilly liquid hit her throat, Hannah wanted to sigh in relief. She gulped down the entire glass before handing it to Wilson. He took the hint and left her and the other man alone in the room.

"Hey, dad," she rasped, still getting used to speaking.

"Mi querdia, Hannah," Pablo Christie whispered, tears springing to his eyes. Hannah began to cry as well. It had been so long since she had really seen her father, and it was just too sad that what reunited them was her being hospitalized. They shared a long, warm hug, filled with everything they wanted to say but couldn't. Finally, Hannah began coughing and they had to break away.

Pablo remained silent, slightly worried for his daughter as she continued coughing, but he knew she would finally be alright. He was still crying when Hannah stopped coughing and leaned back in her bed, tears still in her eyes. When she noticed him nearly sobbing, Hannah grew nervous. "Dad? What is it?"

"I was worried I would lose you... Like we did your mother..." Hannah watched as her father's body shook with a sob, and soon she was crying even more. She stretched out a hand to Pablo, which he gladly took. "She would be so proud of you, mi hija." Hannah smiled sadly. He had always said Hannah was growing to look like her mother, so seeing her in a hospital bed... it must have taken a while for him to muster up the courage to be in the same room as her.

"I know, I know." She sighed before continuing. "Lo siento." She rarely spoke Spanish, but she always made sure to fit some in when she was around her father.

Pablo was confused. "Por qué?"

"I must remind you so much of her." Hannah choked back a sob as she spoke, and it was hard for her to look into her father's eyes.

He shook his head, a small sad smile on his lips. "Si, but you have no reason to be sorry. Adela was an amazing, beautiful woman, and so are you." A slight blush rose on Hannah's cheeks, only adding to the redness from when she had been crying just moments before.

"Gracias, dad." At that moment, Wilson appeared in the doorway again, his eyes slightly red and puffy. As soon as Hannah looked at him, he smiled widely. It nearly killed her to know that this was probably the happiest he'd been for quite a while. Pablo followed her gaze, and a small smirk came to his lips. Hannah realized she should probably say something. "Father, this is-"

"James Wilson, I know, mi querdia. He explained everything." Hannah looked between the two men, and couldn't help but notice Wilson's cheeks were flushed. Pablo stood, the smirk never leaving his face. "I'll leave you two pajaros del amor alone for a while. Don't get crazy!" Wilson appeared confused at her father's expression, but Hannah could only bury her head in her hands as a wave of nausea washed over her. She wasn't sure what it was about, though: was she nervous about finally being alone with Wilson, or was all the guilt from her experience in her comatose state coming back to her? Before she could say anything, Pablo had left.