Ten: Open Heart

"So, she's got angiosarcoma of the heart," House explained, standing behind the chair she was sitting on in Wilson's office. Since being hired at the hospital just months ago, Hannah had already been acquainted with the other hematologists there. She could tell she'd be welcomed once she became a full staff member, which wouldn't take too long as she was nearly done her final year of medical school online. Then she'd proceed to take specialized courses in hematology, both online and off.

Hannah turned in her seat to face the crippled doctor. "How bad is it?" It was Wilson who responded, and she turned back around.

"It's cancer, of course it's bad. Heart cancer is especially rare, and the chances of her living are slim."

"Honey, I work with blood, not the actual heart. Try speaking with a cardiologist," Hannah said, being a little more harsh than she wanted.

House chuckled at the expression on Wilson's face after her response. Since Hannah began 'working' with him, they had gone on a couple dates, and she'd learned exactly how to fluster him; in this case, 'honey'. She suppressed a laugh, thinking about the patient's fatal situation instead to get her more serious.

Wilson finally spoke after searching for the right words. "I did, and he suggested we replace the heart."

"Wow, okay, that's really bad," Hannah commented, her eyes widening in shock. Wilson nodded sadly and looked down at the documents on his desk. "So, why do you need me? If the cardiologist said you need to replace her heart, you should probably replace her heart."

"That's just the thing. I called you in because the patient wants a second opinion. Your opinion, requested by Mrs. Edna Garcia herself," Wilson said, and if Hannah's eyes could widen any more, they would have. Mrs. Garcia was one of her most loyal clients, and would check back in every month. The elderly woman was becoming like a grandmother to Hannah.

It took her another moment to regain her ability to speak. "Can I...?" she couldn't finish the question, but she didn't need to. Wilson stood and strode to the front of his desk, leaning against it and looking down at Hannah with a sad expression on his face.

Still astounded by the news of Mrs. Garcia's illness, Hannah stood up absentmindedly and took a step forward; just close enough to Wilson that she could wrap her arms around his torso. She rested her head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around hers, and she didn't even notice when House left the room, a cheeky half-smile on his face.

Before long, she'd regained her composure and let go of Wilson. "Right, then. Shall be go?" While she put on an indifferent facade, Hannah knew Wilson could see right through it; she was terrified for her friend. Without another word, Wilson took her hand and led her to the room that held Mrs. Garcia.

---

The elderly woman's room in the Intensive Care Unit on the second floor, so typically, Hannah and Wilson would take the elevator down. While Hannah willed him to stay quiet, Wilson had other plans.

"Listen, Hannah. A few months ago, before we..."

"Hooked up?" she aided, crossing her arms over her chest. She knew he was going to bring that up sometime, but why now? Where was he going with this? She was worried enough about Mrs. Garcia, she didn't need this right now.

"Well, to put it bluntly, yes. Before we 'hooked up', I admitted some things. I meant them, you know, but at the time I wasn't sure what it was. Now, we've been a few more dates; I'm not ashamed to call them that. I finally think I know... I love you."

Under different circumstances Hannah probably would have kissed him - heck, more than that - but now of all times? Why now? "Are you insane? This really couldn't have waited until, oh, I don't know, after I'm sure Mrs. Garcia will be okay? James, she's dying. She's a friend, and a client, and she's dying in this hospital and you chose to tell me this now?" The elevator doors opened, and if she'd known where the room she needed to go to was, she would have stormed right out. Alas, she did not, and had to stay with Wilson. Despite his attempts of speaking during the short walk there, Hannah ignored him and focused on the task at hand.