Seven: Lost Cause

"J-James? What are you doing here? I'm in the middle of a reading!" Hannah shouted in a hushed voice, obviously annoyed at the inconvenience of his visit. She had been reading to a kind, elderly woman, who was looking for advice to mend things with her son. They had gotten into an argument when he wanted to become an actor instead of an army medic, but she just wants to let him know that she supports him in everything her does. She was just about to flip the cards, and then the door bell rang.

"You were right. Another divorce." Before Hannah could reply with a smart remark, Wilson continued. "And, it was Julie who was having an affair, like you said." Hannah raised her eyebrows.

"This was, what... a month or so ago? You know what happened a week after that reading?" Wilson sighed and glanced around the room before looking back at Hannah.

"What we had was a one-night-stand. She had the affair."

Hannah sighed and shook her head before motioning for Wilson to enter. "I suppose you're living with House, then?"

"For the time being, yes." Hannah nodded. Rubbing a hand over her face in exasperation as she closed the door, she thought for a second.

"Just... make yourself comfortable. I'll be done in ten minutes. Fifteen at the most." Before Wilson could respond, she hurried back up the stairs to her waiting client. Oh, James, she thought, what am I going to do with you?

---

"Alright Mrs. Garcia. Please call me to tell you what happens, alright? Remember what I told you." The older woman smiled widely at Hannah and hugged her before opening the door.

"Oh, Mara, you're such a kind young girl. I'll come back in person, if you aren't busy." Mrs. Garcia glanced at Wilson, who was still sitting quietly on the couch, then looked back at Hannah. "I'll even bring some pie for you and your boyfriend to share," she grinned with a wink, and Hannah felt a blush crawl up her neck and onto her cheeks.

"Oh, he-he's not my boyfriend. A friend and a client, who came a few minutes early." Mrs. Garcia smiled, a knowing sparkle in her eye, then stood up on her tip-toes to whisper in Hannah's ear.

"Oh, we old people know what it's like. I can tell just by the energy in the room that something more is going on." Hannah's blush darkened, and she was glad that her back was turned to Wilson at the moment.

Only nodding for the time being, Hannah smiled a little and held the door open for Mrs. Garcia, as it was about to shut due to the wind picking up. "I'll see you soon, then?"

"But of course, darling." Mrs. Garcia smiled before leaving the house. Hannah smiled as she shut the door, then walked over to the kitchen and prepared herself a glass of red wine to calm her beating heart.

Was it that obvious that she liked Wilson? Of course, she liked him, but even after their one night stand, Hannah refused to believe that she really had feelings for him. It was futile, of course, she knew she was probably still in love with him. "Wine?" she asked, speaking loudly so she wouldn't have to look at Wilson until she'd finally calmed down.

"No, tha- Actually, I think I will." Hannah turned her head so she could look over her shoulder, raising an eyebrow before turning back around and grabbing a second glass from the cupboard. Soon enough, she sat down next to Wilson on the couch and handed him his wine.

They sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes, neither having anything to say. Each sipping their beverages slowly, Hannah and Wilson both searched for something, anything, to talk about. By the time Wilson finally spoke, Hannah had begun to wonder if the only reason why he came by was to tell her that she was right. But then, why would he drive all the way over just to tell her something that he could just as easily call her about.

"I'm sorry, I interrupted the reading. There was no car in the driveway, so I assumed-"

"It's alright," Hannah cut him off and set her empty glass down on the coffee table in front of the couch. "She lives just down the block, so she walked over." Wilson nodded in understanding. The silence returned. Just as Hannah got up to refill her glass, Wilson took her wrist and pulled her back down.

"About what happened a few weeks ago, I just wanted to say that we don't have to act it didn't happen." He got flustered when he realized what he said and pulled his hand back and continued, "I mean, we don't have to act like it did happen either, but-"

Again, Hannah cut him off. It was beginning to become a bad habit. When would she learn to shut up? "As far as I'm concerned, it never happened. Actually, as far as I'm concerned, all I am to you is a patient and all you are to me is a client. I just want to... I don't know..." she took a breath, searching for the right words. "I want to forget that anything has ever happened between us, ever. Again."

It wouldn't be the first time she'd forgotten, but that came to an end almost two months ago. Now all the memories were present in her mind again, tugging at her, making her feel guilty. Hannah would never stop thinking that she was the reason for his second divorce. It felt odd to say that, even in her head. It was odder still that she was, for some reason, perfectly fine with saying it. Second divorce.

Wilson frowned, and hardly noticed that Hannah had gotten up. It wasn't until she sat back down that he spoke again. "The team and I were going to go to dinner on Saturday, and I was wondering if you'd like to come?" Hannah nearly choked on her wine. "Not as my date of course, and it's not too far, so I could pick you up on my way over."

"If this is some scam to get me to sleep with you again, I'm just letting you know that I don't want to be your rebound," Hannah sighed, leaning back into the couch and crossing her arms over her chest.

"You not my rebound, Hannah, and this isn't a scam. I'm not trying to make you fall in love with me or anything. I promise."

Hannah gave him a small half smile. "Saturday's in three days..." she thought over her schedule. "I have one appointment at ten, so sure. Pick me up whenever, I'll be ready."

"Great," Wilson smiled, then stood up and headed to the door. "That's all, really. I know I could have called you, but it didn't feel right." Hannah laughed a little and followed him to the door. "See you Saturday." With that, he smiled and left the house.

"Saturday," Hannah confirmed before he closed the door. The thing was, he'd already made her fall in love with him.