Chapter 2- First Conversation

Chapter 2

Aina Collins

"Hey Aina! Wait up."

I turned back to see who's calling me.

"Oh, hey Kimy! What's up?" Kimy is my classmate and bestfriend. And just like me.

"Nothing much. So, you already know who your partner is?"

"No. Do you?"

"Not yet. I heard Prof. Duffus is going to announce it later at our class."

"Yeah, I heard too. I hope you're my partner. I know with you, I wouldn't have a hard time."

"Yeah, me too! But I heard they're partnering up the good and bad students. You know what I mean."

"Ugh! Really? No way!" I frowned.

"Anyway, later, we'll know if these rumors are true. So, let's get to class."

I don't even get why we had Psychology as one of our elective subject.

"Good morning students!" Prof. Duffus greeted us with the same, old enthusiastic smile on his face even though he knows almost all of us aren't interested with his Psychology class.

"Good morning Prof. Duffus..." everybody said in the dullest way they could.

"I know all of you are excited for the project I'm going to give you. Let me start off by saying that this is your whole year project. Meaning, you'll only have one project for the whole year." Suddenly, everybody is getting interested with this project he is talking about.

"So, here's how it's going to be. Each of you gets a partner in this project. I want you to make an in-depth study about your partner's personality, attitude, character, behavior and all. It's like getting to know each other. Here's the twist to it, if you find anything to be corrected with his or her attitude, character, or behavior, you have to find a way to correct it. By the end of this year, you're all going to give me your comprehensive report on how it has been like. Isn't it exciting?!" Prof. Duffus said excitingly. Now, he got everyone's attention. Soon enough, he was bombarded with questions. But, I get it all clear though. That's just how I am.

But wait, there's one student who seems to not care at all. He's just sitting at his desk quietly with a phone in his hand while, I think, trying to text someone. He's got that not-interested-with-this-crap look on his face. He is also chewing a gum at class?! Oh wait, I know him. The school bad boy and #1 player, Miggy Smiths.

Anyway, I just hope I don't get to be his partner or I'm doomed. Prof. Duffus caught my attention back with his naturally chipmunk-like voice. Weird, I know.

"So, with all of your questions clearly answered. It's time to announce who your partners will be. That means you're going to work with each other for the whole year."

Prof. Duffus started announcing. There were different reactions. Happy. Contented. Disappointed. At least my bestfriend, Kimy, got a decent partner. And finally...

"Aina Collins and Miggy Smiths!" Then he continued announcing...

Everybody looked at me like I was the unluckiest person in the world. Even Kimy looked at me with a pitiful smile. The only ones looking badly at me were the girls who like him. 15 pairs of eyes to be exact, in a class of 56 students with 25 girls and 31 boys. Jealous much? You girls can take him! Come on! Talk about getting to work with the BAD BOY for a year! I hate my life. I don't even get why a lot of girls like him. Fine, he's cute. But, why like a bad boy?

Wait. I am Aina Collins. I always know what to do. And I handle them smoothly. Miggy Smiths can't break my record of excellency with everything I do. I am going to make him fully cooperate whatever it takes. Let's see, Mr. Smiths, keeping a grin on my face.

Miggy Smiths

I heard Prof. Duffus call my name and the name of my partner and knew it was Aina Collins. The typical GOOD GIRL who studies well and excels in school. Not bad. She's pretty, but definitely not my type. Anyway, I'm fine with her being my partner. She's smart and I know she wants the highest grade possible for this stupid project so I am going to tell her that we don't need to waste our time studying about each other and that she could just write down anything she wants on that comprehensive report crap and I wouldn't give a damn about it. As for me, I have no plans of doing that freaking project. Problem solved.

As soon as I solved my problem, I saw Aina Collins walking towards me. By the look on her face, I can sense she doesn't really like being partners with me. Oh well, guess she knows me. Besides, I'm popular.

Aina Collins

"Hi Mr. Miggy Smiths. I am Aina Collins, your partner for our Psychology project." I then forced a smile.

"Hey Aina! Wazzup?" He flashes me a smile.

Whoa! Why do I feel like blushing when he smiled at me? No, Aina. You're just delusional.

"Nothing much. Well, anyway, I want us to start talking about our project. Do you have any suggestions or plans in mind?"

"Hmm... First of all, I did not listen to any word our teacher said. And second, whatever project is that, I do not intend to do it. I have said my suggestions or plans in mind." He said with sarcasm in his voice. Now, he is really starting to piss me off. I tried my best to stay calm.

"Okay, Mr. Smiths. Here's what I have to say, whether you like it or not, WE are going to work on this project. If you want to fail this class, please do it alone and don't drag me along with your useless suggestions or plans in mind."

"But, I don't want my conscience to keep knocking my head. So, for your perfect streak of academic excellence, I have a solution to our problems."

I looked at him wondering what "solution" is that. "And what is that?"

"We don't need to waste our time studying about each other. Benefit of that, we could do more of our own stuff. So, you could just write down anything you like about me on that stupid comprehensive report. I don't care. Besides, even though I'm popular here, no one knows me personally to know if what you've written is right or wrong. I will just say to Prof. Duffus that everything you've written there is pure truth and accurate. With a truthful report, you get the high grade that you want. Simple. Problem solved."

WHAT?!