New Suit

[Prepare for feels]

We were on the last day of our honeymoon when she said, "You need a new suit."

"I have two suits! They're fine."

"I bet those two suits you own are 15 years old. At least. You've been a bachelor way too long." She'd been right, too. Both were in decent shape, but exceptionally dated. "We'll go buy you a new suit, a nice simple black one for almost all occasions."

"Will I look dapper?"

"Dapper! Silly, no one says dapper anymore."

"But suits are expensive. Don't we want to put our money into something for the new house?"

"You can get a good black suit for a decent price. Macy's always has sales, we can make this work."

"So what will I do with this new suit?"

"The first time you wear it, you'll look handsome and striking. We'll make it a special occasion. I'll wear my best dress and you'll wear your new suit." It took two weeks once we got home for her to bring it up again, so we went and bought one for me. I got the cuffs hemmed, and they told me it would take 10 days to be ready. She picked it up while I was at work. The suit escaped the crash undamaged.

It's a closed coffin, but I know she's in there wearing her best dress. I loathe this suit. I will never wear it again.