Chapter 8 - Raid on the Castle

Start from the beginning

Reepicheep eyed a soldier in the distance and turned to the mice, gesturing them to attack him. They sped towards him, scurrying as fast as their legs could possibly carry them, but were silent. They all pounced on him at once, causing him to fall over in shock.
They then climbed onto each other's back circus style, hoisting the last mouse high enough to reach the door lock. It latched it open easily.
Trumpkin pulled open the door from the other side before firing an arrow almost immediately. The mice turned, finding a dead soldier slumped on the floor near them.
"Ah, we were expecting someone, you know, taller" Reepicheep joked.
Trumpkin rolled his eyes, "you're one to talk"
"Is that supposed to be irony?" Reepicheep said, chuckling.
Trumpkin turned around and closed the door shut.

***

Caspian sneaked into Cornelius's cell, where his professor was lying motionless and chained heavily on the ground. But judging by his slow breathing, Caspian deduced that he was just asleep. His heart was racing as he knew that one wrong move would bring the whole plan down.
Caspian bent down to shake him lightly, waking him up. He groaned and turned to his side.
"Five more minutes?" He told him.
"What are you doing here?" Cornelius asked in a hushed tone, sitting up. "I didn't help you escape so that you can break back in. You have to get out before Miraz learns you're here"

"He'll learn soon enough. We're giving him your cell" Caspian said while breaking the metal chains, freeing his professor.
"Don't underestimate Miraz as your father did" Cornelius warned. He put his hand to his mouth immediately. What have I just told him? He panicked inside. Caspian must not know.
"What are you talking about?" Caspian asked suspiciously.
"I'm sorry" Cornelius whispered, avoiding his gaze while getting up on his feet.
Caspian let go of Cornelius and looked at him while shaking his head slightly, disappointment written on his face. Then, he turned and ran off. This can't be.

Caspian sprinted all the way to his uncle's room. He stopped before the door, taking in a deep breath to calm himself down. He reached out to the doorknob. Resting his hand on the cold metal, he hesitated. Finally, he turned it slowly and pushed it open, revealing his aunt and uncle, who were both soundly asleep.
Anger boiled in him as he set his eyes on his uncle. He unsheathed his sword slowly, putting it to Miraz's throat.
Miraz's eyes shot open. He chuckled, an evil grin spreading on his face.
"Thank goodness you're safe..." he started.

"Get up" Caspian ordered.
Miraz climbed out of bed calmly and Lady Prunaprismia suddenly sat up.
"Caspian?" She asked, a confused look on her face.
"Stay where you are" Caspian told her, his gaze fixed on Miraz, burning with hatred.
"What are you doing?"
"I think this obvious, dear" Miraz replied with a sneer. "You know, some might consider this inappropriate behaviour"
"But that didn't seem to have stopped you" Caspian spat.
"But you're not like me, are you?" Miraz mocked.
Prunaprismia loaded her crossbow silently, her hands shaking, and aimed it at Caspian.
"Put the sword down, Caspian. I don't want to do this"

"We don't want you to either!" Susan screamed as she and Peter barged into the room. Peter drew his sword while Susan aimed her arrow at Prunaprismia.
"This used to be a private room" Miraz claimed, rolling his eyes.
"Caspian! What are you doing? You're supposed to be at the gatehouse" Peter raised his voice at Caspian.
"No! Tonight for once, I want the truth" he turned to Miraz. "Did you kill my father?" He questioned in a gruff tone, his grip tightening on his sword as he pushed it against Miraz's neck.
"Now we get to it" Miraz chuckled calmly.
"You told me your brother died in his sleep" Lady Prunaprismia breathed, lowering her crossbow.
"That was more or less true" Miraz replied.

Caspian pushed Miraz against the wall, his blade causing a drop of blood to trickle down Miraz's neck.
"Did you kill my father?" Caspian interrogated further.
"Caspian, this won't make this anything better" Susan told him.
"We Telmarines would have nothing had we not taken it. Your father knew that as well as anyone" Miraz said simply.
"How could you?" Prunaprismia started.
"For that same reason you will pull that trigger!" Miraz screamed, the veins on his neck bulging.
Miraz continued with a cunning smile on his face, "for our son, you must choose. Do you want our child to be king or do you want him to be like Caspian over here, fatherless!" Prunaprismia froze at his words.