Chapter VI

My eyes slowly blinked open. I squinted as a single light shone above me. Looking down, I found myself on the top of one of the wooden tables, my hands and feet were held down to the table by cold metal bars that were wrapped around my wrists and ankles. What is happening?

"Hey, are you alright?" I looked up to see Jason and Annabeth in the same situation as I was in.

I nodded. "What is this?"

"It's called being kidnapped," said Jason.

"It happens a lot when you're a demigod..." added Annabeth irritably.

"How are we going to free ourselves?" I inquired.

"You can't." the sailor came forward, in his hands he carried a tray with shiny implements on it. "Those cuffs are specially made to resist magic." He placed the tray down on a smaller table in the center of the room, and from there I could see that the implements were actually small knives with long handles.

"Who are you? And what are you going to do with us?" demanded Annabeth, noticing the knives too.

"I have a score to settle," the boatman answered. "And your deaths will give me just that, demigods."

"With the gods, clearly," answered Annabeth with a groan. "Who are you really? What's your full name?"

The man smiled. "Good deductions, it's clear you're a daughter of Athena."

Annabeth nodded impatiently. "Yes, yes, what's your name?"

"I was a king in Thessaly, I was married to a daughter of Aeolus who killed herself when I died in a shipwreck."

"King Ceyx," realized Jason.

Ceyx nodded. "Yes, son of Zeus. I have lost everything because of the gods, especially your father, and now they will feel my pain!" He picked up one of the knives and turned towards me. "And you will be the first." 

"But wait, the tale goes that you were a good king!" Annabeth objected quickly from behind him. "And that's why Alcyone loved you!"

"That was the man I used to be," said Ceyx angrily. "The gods destroyed him when they took my brother and my wife!"

"But we had nothing to do with that," said Jason. "Why are you punishing us for it?"

He sighed. "It is a shame that you all had to be brought into this... But it is the only way for your parents to feel the same pain that I feel." He raised the small weapon over my chest.

"Killing me will gain you nothing," I told him. "Whoever my parent is, they hate me, if you kill me, you'll only be doing them a kindness."

He paused. "You're just saying that to save your life."

"No, she's telling the truth," Annabeth protested. "She was left in Harriman State Park to die as a baby."

"So letting me live will only annoy my parent all the more," I continued. "I could assist you in making the gods pay, for they have done nothing but ruin my life as well."

Ceyx stood back, putting his hand to his chin as he thought, still holding the small instrument in his other hand. "Your eyes do show hardship in your life... I will give your suggestion some thought." He turned around. "But your friends will have to die." He stabbed his knife into Annabeth's arm, making her cry out as he said. "Do you feel that, Athena?"

"No!" Jason and I fought against our restraints but to avail. We were helpless as Ceyx sliced the knife down Annabeth's arm.

Without entirely realizing it, I focused on the king and sent him flying backwards across the room into the door. "Uhh..." He looked right at me, knowing immediately who had made him go backwards. "What are you doing? I thought you were on my side!"